LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Include other directories in build or installer

Solved!
Go to solution

The engineer I am writing this program for hates to dig around for files so the software specification call for several config files to be found off the root directory.

C:/Program_Name/System_Config

C:/Program_Name/Instrument_Config

C:/Program_Name/Test_Scripts

How can I include these files in a build or installer so they are created on install and default config files placed in the proper directories?

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,107 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author RTSLVU

Look in the Destinations Category in the dialog to create a new installer.  The build specifications for an installer by default puts the executables into [Program Files]\YourProjectName where [Program Files] is a token that specifies whatever is the Program Files folder for the PC you are installing to.  There are numerous other tokens for other paths such as Windows, System, Desktop, ....

I would first try to put in a new folder under the [Windows Volume] branch of the tree.  (There is a New Folder Icon at the bottom of the tree.)  I'm assuming Windows Volume is going to be the root of whatever drive you have Windows installed on, which should be C:\

You could also add a new directory such as c:\YourProjectName which would put an absolute path for installing the executable to.

Message 2 of 3
(2,103 Views)

Thanks, I just figured that out myself, but I also had to add the directories to the project first.

Do you know if there is any way to include and install other programs?

The config files are in XML and we ike to use Microsoft XML Notepad to build and edit the config files because it's free.

It would be nice to be able to include the XML-Notepad installer and have it install tha as well on the target machines.

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,083 Views)