LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In need of advice

Hello,

I have some error handling functions to be used on my projects.

specifically I spawn a error dialog to the user (using VI server) to both show the error and give the user the option to close the top most-level VI (is there are repeating errors (say in a loop) using a file>shut down menu option.

so I can drag the spawner and place it on any top level VI and have my error hangling.

Now, this functions I want to be able to use them on any project (universal) per say and since my style is to always include a panel closed? event which i ignore and do house cleaning before terminate my main program I can standarize this.

here are some links i visited while attempting to create panel close? event dynamically

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361H-01/lvprop/vi_pnl_closing/

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/81E9C1441900FFCE8625748F0055DBB0

this variant closes the vi but does not generate the efect of cliking on the "X button" the next link mentiones that "WM_CLose" it should behave like pressing the "X button". I also try "WM_Quit" but no joy.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3155782/what-is-the-difference-between-wm-quit-wm-close-and-wm-de...

method FP-CLose failed

function "Stop" acts like an abort

I though about moving the mouse (based on the size of the top most level windows FP) to where the "X button" is but iam hoping for a more elegant approach.

any help will be greatly appreaciataed.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(2,755 Views)

are you using a state machine architecture?  if so, your error would queue up the cleanup state, which is what your Panel: Close? event would do.

aputman
------------------
Heads up! NI has moved LabVIEW to a mandatory SaaS subscription policy, along with a big price increase. Make your voice heard.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(2,740 Views)

NO.

I want to create a panel close? event.

regardless of what my architecture is, I do not whish unless it is absolutly necessary have to change my architecture to acomodate this nuisance.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(2,731 Views)

I understand what you are trying to do but i don't think you can generate a panel close event without using a Menu....Exit command or clicking the "X".  Can you show a screenshot?  You are discarding the panel close event in order to do cleanup.  Where is your cleanup code...in the Panel: Close filter?

aputman
------------------
Heads up! NI has moved LabVIEW to a mandatory SaaS subscription policy, along with a big price increase. Make your voice heard.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(2,726 Views)

Are you familiar with User Events?  Have you tried them for this?

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(2,723 Views)

so from my dialog vi i want to be able to generate a panel close

(I can ofcorse create a dummy control and hide it and in its value change case, do whatever I do for my house keeping) but it would be my ugly option, because user cliking on X is my signal that I have to terminate all my process in a gracefull manner (clore reference, etc).

has any one even with the win32.dll variant been able to mimic a close (x) (not in G) so that LV can successfully capture it.

the last guy in this post mentions it.

http://lavag.org/topic/4020-how-programmatically-fire-the-panel-close-event/

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(2,713 Views)

I am able to create dynamic events for controls but I cant seem to be able to generate an event (panel close?) for a VI

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(2,711 Views)

I'm curious now.  I was going to create a user event and add it to the same event case as the Panel: Close filter.  I get an error that says "Filter events must have identical data to share a case."  So I am trying to create a user event with identical data so that maybe they can share a case.  Anyone know if this is possible or is there a way to find out the exact event data?  I can see that there are 5 different values (4 input, 1 output) but this isn't working.  They may not be in the right order.

user event.PNG

aputman
------------------
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(2,697 Views)

If all you are doing in the Panel Close? filter event is discard the event, then I don't see a really good reason to try to get a filter event and a dynamic event to work in a single case.  I don't think they would work together anyways.  So just make another event case that does the same thing as the filter event using a User Event.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(2,660 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

If all you are doing in the Panel Close? filter event is discard the event, then I don't see a really good reason to try to get a filter event and a dynamic event to work in a single case.  I don't think they would work together anyways.  So just make another event case that does the same thing as the filter event using a User Event.

I don't have a particular use case for this.  It was more of a "curiosity killed the cat" sorta thing....just to see if I could get it to work. 

aputman
------------------
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(2,599 Views)