From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In highlight execution mode, is there a way to "freeze" the section of screen to keep it from jumping to parts you don't care about? Jumping loses wire value displayed.

Hello!!

My block diagram has gotten pretty big. And one solution to an earlier problem was to set up a parallel loop to handle my serial traffic while I processed the front panel in the 'main' loop.

This is posing some problems when trying to debug. I have breakpoints I'm setting, and I put it into execution highlight mode, and have it set to Retain Wire Values...so I can see the values as the flow goes through the wires.

What a great tool for seeing how things are working and values moving along the wires.

However, since the introduction of my 2nd loop....when I run this, the screen jumps back and forth between the loops....when it does this, my block diagram is so big, that the part doing the front panel section jumps to the 2nd loop, and I miss the values coming off the wires in the previous section...and when I scroll back up, the values on the wires are cleared.

Is there any way to 'freeze' the screen to the section I'm concerned about in the Highlight Execution mode.....or somehow set it to ignore the section of the screen witht he 2nd loop that I'm not concerned with seeing the data flow through?

Thank you in advance!!!

cayenne

ps. I"m using LV 2011, I've not upgraded to 2012 yet.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,859 Views)

I don't know of a way to do what you want.  But an alternate approach would be to enable the Retain Wire Value feature (the button next to Highlight Execution).  Then, if the diagram jumps around, you can still scroll back to the area you're interested in and probe or hover over wires to see the last value.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,851 Views)

cayenne wrote:

to freeze' the screen to the section I'm concerned about in the Highlight Execution mode...

To debug, highlighting is not the only way.You can place probe in your code to see data evolution. you can also place debug point ...

A way i also use is creating an FGV that store values i want to monitor and send it to graphic loop.

Anyway it's your convenience.Try itSmiley Wink

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks as kudos only:)
Message 3 of 7
(2,842 Views)

One more reason to follow the thumb of rule: Never make a diagram bigger than a screen! It's not the only reason but probably a pretty strong one to convince even stuborn people who think, multiscreen diagrams are a proof of their unlimited creativity. There is no difficulty to isolate parts of a diagram into subVIs that you could see as a sort of deamon. Your serial traffic loop would be a good candidate for instance.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 4 of 7
(2,833 Views)

@DAD wrote:

I don't know of a way to do what you want.  But an alternate approach would be to enable the Retain Wire Value feature (the button next to Highlight Execution).  Then, if the diagram jumps around, you can still scroll back to the area you're interested in and probe or hover over wires to see the last value.

That's what I'm trying to do...but when the screen jumps, even with retain wire value...those values displayed at the end of the wires disappear when I scroll back to look a tthem for some reason.

I'm trying to do probes...but you can't really put them everywhere....whereas seeing all the wire values as they travel around....can be eye opening. I actually caught a mistake or two I'd not thought to look there for...by happening to see a 'strange' value show up on one terminal.....

Darn...hoping there was some way in labview to be able to pin the block diagram so as to be able to see only one area in action....

cayenne

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,804 Views)

@cayenne wrote:

Darn...hoping there was some way in labview to be able to pin the block diagram so as to be able to see only one area in action....

Any chance you can turn the relevant portion of the code into a subVI?  Then you can use execution highlighting on that VI only.

Message 6 of 7
(2,793 Views)

Per other post, I can see that is likely the way I need to go.

This is my first go around wtih LV, and I'm needing to get something out the door pronto, and I've not tried doing a sub-vi before out of code...and no time to break stuff and put it back together putting parts of it in a sub-vi.

I'll read up on that, and try to do this going forward once I get this code out the door...will call it "version 1"...

🙂

Thanks!!!

C

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,768 Views)