From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing a picture without background to the front panel

Hi,

I would like to paste a picture at the front panel.

LabVIEW imports a white background with the picture.

though I copy the selection part of the picture (not rectangular)

and paste it at the front panel.

LabVIEW seems to complete the picture to a rectangular shape

with a white background.

P.S.. How come that the word 'LabVIEW' is not in the spelling checker vocabulary  Smiley Happy ?

Amitai

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 19
(6,603 Views)

Why don't you adjust your picture frame, according to the picture you import ?

Message 2 of 19
(6,586 Views)

If the picture is in 'wmf' (Windows meta file) format, the background remains transparent once you paste in LV. Ofcourse, the picture itself needs to have a transparent bkgd.

Depends what kind of picture you're trying to paste.

Message Edited by Mani's World on 09-13-2008 02:01 PM
Message Edited by Mani's World on 09-13-2008 02:01 PM
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 19
(6,571 Views)

Hi Mani's,

I have tried to do so, but saving as wmf does not help.

I am using Adobe Photoshop to delete the background,

and an image converter in order to convert the PSD file to WMF.

and it doesn't work.....

I have created a small image, (a smiley) , so I can upload it easily (my original image is complicated).

can you show me how you do it ? (if you have time)

(see link to my University folder files - one : the image in jpeg. - two : the image as a psd. file without the background.

this forum does not support the upload of an psd. file)

http://virtual2002.tau.ac.il/users/www/68827/lv_try/

thanks

Amitai

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 19
(6,548 Views)
Save it as a GIF or a PNG which support transparency and which LabVIEW can display on its front panel. Incidentally, it can also display WMF or EMF, but I think you have to open it in another program first (like Word or PowerPoint) and then copy and paste it from there.

Ignore my previous post.....

Both WMF and PNG works well, without having to open them with another program (tst was not sure)

Your problem should be at the program which saves the image.

If the image has no backround , Labview copy-paste does not add one.

Message 6 of 19
(6,531 Views)

Hi Amitai

The posts about png, gif, wmf are all correct. gif, png, wmf extensions support transparency. You would need a graphics software like photoeditor, paint shop or photoshop to set the background as transparent and then save as a png/wmf file. wmf is hard to save since its a microsoft extension and not supported by all programs. So between gif and png,  I would go with png since the quality is much better than gif.

The simley you've uploaded, I've removed the bkgd using the Microsoft photoeditor (comes with offices xp/2002), and saved as a png file. then i've just dragged the file on to the LV front panel. I've attached the png image and the snap of the LV front panel.

Hope this helps.

Download All
Message 7 of 19
(6,506 Views)

Hi,

I would like to thank you all for the help.

especially Mani.

I succeeded with the photo editor called GIMP which is free to download and a very good photo editor.

Amitai

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 19
(6,471 Views)

I know this is an old thread, but...

I've replicated the results above using Paint.NET to remove the background and either drag & drop the file onto the front panel or use the "import picture from file..." function. However, Copy/Paste does not bring the transparency with the image.

The problem is, the first two methods place the file as an image that can not be resized - this really limits how useful it it for me. Any way around this?

Thanks,

Brad

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 19
(5,158 Views)

Brad

Probably the transparanecy gets lost when you save the file. Only a few formats support transparency (see earlier post). Try saving as png, gif or wmf/emf. If it still doesn't work for you, then upload your image and I'll convert it for you.

As far as copying/pasting goes, the image must support transparency. Just be removing the background and copying, it does not mean that the background has been set to transparent. Save the file in one of the supported file formats and then import into LV or drag and drop.

Good luck!!

Message 10 of 19
(5,141 Views)