From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Immediate Load Config

Hi Jjlee
Q1: Why don't you search the vi library for the 8133A. If you have added it correctly into your Labview
environment then you should see all the vi from the instrument menu palette.
If you look at an example vi; how the BD is set out and how the command string is struted then you should be able to
modify to suit with regard to instrument query .
As I have stated before, I strongly suggest that for you first version you should just manually setup the configurations and save in the instrument registers. Then all you need to do is just recal the setting. The actual values can be noted in a word document.
You could have a menu ring that the operator selects the appropiate  setup. so using just one vi you could  select the config required. I would  in all cases not have the output enabled  until  the operation has been confirmed by the operator.ie the device under test changed- Less likely to cause unnecessary damage to sensitive RF  amps etc.

xseadog
0 Kudos
Message 31 of 42
(1,099 Views)
Hi Jjlee
attached is a very quick and untested vi to help you recal instrument set up from register.
Please note that I have not been able to test it physically.Also you may have to adjust string characters for it to function. Ie verify via NI spy,HP8133A manual that I have written the correct characters plus spacing.
If you have any queries let me know.

xseadog

0 Kudos
Message 32 of 42
(1,099 Views)
Hi xseadog,
Hope you had a good weekend!

Here is another capture file for the VI(attached) ran in two different timebase modes

1. Internal
2. External

with internal timebase, I think the instrument behaves fine, but switching to external sets the width and duty cylcle values to some huge number...
I did try to find what is actually causing, but no good luck so far...

I wonder what is going on here???
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 33 of 42
(1,096 Views)
Hi Jjlee
have had a quick browse of NI spy capture dump. Well you don'thave any red highlighting !!!
Noticed that your GPIB address is 10 but in one of your vi you have it as default 13 ?
Have you attempted to step through the commands (try also have NI spy running in background) using the hightlight execution ?
MY concern is that NI spy indicates that you are firing commands off rapidly without any waiting for acknowlegment or comformation.
In my humble experience, I found it necessary to introduce wait states for certain instruments to ensure that all script commands were executed.

If I  recollect correctly  with agilent HP equipment usually if one used an OPC command after a script  command then the processor would wait until all preceding commands were executed before continuing. Thus no commands would be loss from the 'buffer'.

I'llsee if I can find time to check the manual out
chow for now

xseadog

Message 34 of 42
(1,090 Views)

Hi xseadog,

1. Could you point out where you found that default 13 address? I think I saw it but could not find...

2. If I push "run continuously" button, I can see that the instrument shows freq of 33MHz and the pulse width/duty cycle is calculated based on this freq. I think there must be some 33MHz set as a default in one of the setting, but cannot find where this is happening....(for EXT trigger case)

3. This may be due to the insufficient wait states???

BR,

0 Kudos
Message 35 of 42
(1,088 Views)
Hi Jjlee
your GPIB 13 address is occuring as a default setting in your initilize vi- however this is not showing in NI spy (file you last uploaded) which suggests that what you are uploading is not consistant with what you are testing !! After you have executed a single run you should make current values default function is found under operate menu. Then save vi's !!!'
Ni spy does not show 33Mhz in the dumps you haver uploaded !! Again make current values default.

See attached gif file, shows simple wait/pause delay vi. All you need to do is insert between script command vi's. You can either go over board and do it after every script vi or check NI spy and see where it is necessary to add a delay.

xseadog
0 Kudos
Message 36 of 42
(1,079 Views)
Hi xseadog,

I am not sure how to test the save and recall VI.
How should I test/verify this?
How can I bring into the existing VI?

thanks,

0 Kudos
Message 37 of 42
(1,082 Views)
Hi Jjlee
 please explain ?
Is the vi called save and recal or is that what you won't to achieve?

Just insert vi as you would normally do! Select a vi from directory or llb .
Please be advised I do not recommend using llb's to hold vi's !!
Safer to hold appropiate vi's in folder directory ( - if need be : sub folders: Test 1, Test 2, Instrumentation, File IO , Data etc)

llb have a reputation of corruppting just when you have solved problem but hav e not taken a backup of the previous days work !!!

once biten twice shy

regards
xseadog

0 Kudos
Message 38 of 42
(1,071 Views)

Hi xseadog,

I asked this question before, but I could not find where that default 13 address is occuring in initialize vi. I checked the properties of all the subVIs, but could not find.

Again, when the instrument is EXT trig'd, width is calculated from freq of 33MHz (which is not the ext freq), then when VI stops, the freq on the 8133 switches to ext freq, but not the pulse width setting???

Could you help how I can fix??

Thanks,

BTW, I looked the VI that I had uploaded, so I think we are looking at the same file.

0 Kudos
Message 39 of 42
(1,070 Views)
Hi jjlee
in response to first question see attached file.

Please attempt to manually set up instrument ( learn to crawl before attempting to run marathon !!).
With attention to pulse see page 139 of 250  -- section5-43

If you check out the front panel of HP8133aPulse Channel Settings you might notice as you scroll/move mouse over FP terminals that (if Help is enabled -control H )that you get further information aboutthe function of the terminal.
ie Dutycycle=Width/Period *100

Width parameters150ps to 10ns
Period parameters150ps to 10.5ns

check your settings
xseadog

0 Kudos
Message 40 of 42
(1,063 Views)