LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Immediate Load Config

1. How can I change instrument settings immediately after the 'load config' reads off from a text file?
Currently, 'load config' does load settings, but does not switch instruments.

2. Is it possible that I can save;
      -common aggressor settings
      - HP8648C settings

Any insights will be truly appreciated.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 42
(3,847 Views)
Unable to proceed !!
There are many  vi' missing that your vi links to

I fail to fully understand  Q1!!
Why would you want to change instrument settings if you have just loaded them ?
Surely it would be more efficiecy if you loaded the reqired setting in the first place ?

Q2
What do you actuall mean by agressor ? Please provide insight!

BTW your vi expands beyond monitor dimensions, suggest you in future follow NI guide lines with regard to Block diagram layout.

xseadog
Message 2 of 42
(3,830 Views)

Please let me attach a library file with all the subVIs.

1. Using "Load Config" button, I can load different parameters on "Aggressor Settings" tab. However, this does not change the actual instruments settings with a loaded Aggressor Settings.

2. Aggressors are just my way of calling "HP8133A" pulse gens.

Could you guide me to how I can resize the VI, so that it can fit within the size of a monitor?

3. Please let me attach this block diagram to help you understand what I am trying to do.

Best,

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 42
(3,821 Views)

I guess it is not so clear to me that I can only load instrument settings on the front panel with a text file and instruments will click and change once "Run Test" button is pressed(?)

Is there a such thing as instant physical clicking of an instrument as soon as a text file is loaded onto the front panel interface???

I may not be asking something impossible....

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 42
(3,796 Views)
It is absolutely unclear to me why you would want to load a config file and immediately setup the instruments. If the instruments are correctly setup once you click the "run-test" button, why would you need to need to setup the instruments before? To me, a front panel with instrument configurations reflect what I want to do when I actually run the test. When a user changes an instrument configuration manually, do you also want the ability for that change to immediately take affect? That can certainly be done as well as is what you're asking but it seems to me that it's unnecessary. What if a user loads a config file, it immediately programs the instruments, then the user changes his mind and wants a different confguration. The time spent sending all of the commands with the first configuration is just time wasted.

If you really think it necessary, the change you want to make is trivial. Create a new state called "setup" or something and move the instrument setups from the "run" state into there. In the "load" state, write to the state machine queue the value "setup" and you're done. That's the whole point of a state machine. In any one state you can add as many items to the queue as you want and control execution flow. Most state machines will have states that do not correspond to front panel Booleans.
Message 5 of 42
(3,792 Views)

I do agree with your rationale, but my boss was thinking otherwise. I did not get this point, but I am trying to find out if it is even possible.

Could you please comment on some of my problems with the VI?

1. Loading configuration file

It reads okay, but does not write correctly on the instruments. what can possibly go wrong? For example, I specify a duty cycle of 25% and once the "Run Test" button is pressed, Aggressor5 displays some hug duty cycle value? I even reset all the instruments, but still no idea why...

2. No waveform & text file content

- It looks to me that 'crosstalk measurement' block in "run" case is working okay. Why there is no waveform in the near end crosstalk plot?

- Could not find any x,y data in the text file except some header info....how can I fix this?

Thanks always for your great advices!

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 42
(3,773 Views)
Right click on the VI that is supposed to set the duty cycle and select SubVI Node Setup and then select all check boxes except for Open Front Panel when loaded. Then when you run the VI, each the function is called, you will be able to see what the data is in it's front panel. If it's correct, then there might be something wrong with the driver. If it's incorrect, you'll have to trace back using the above technique, break points, single stepping, and probes to find out where the data is getting corrupted. These are all basic debugging techniques that you'll have to perform. I can't do much without the instruments.
Message 7 of 42
(3,765 Views)
Hi Jjlee

thanks for providing the overview.

first point a verbal contract is not worth the paper it is written on !!
So if your boss  as not provided a written detail specification then you as the programmer play GODand decide how to provide the desired functions.

Dennis's reply is worth paying attention to.

With regard to yopur first question:
Copy the true case frame of the load state to a new vi.Change the loop counter to 1.
Start NI spy.
Open front panel of ReadKeysAnd BuildCuster.vi
Run your new vi (ReadKeysAnd BuildCuster.vi is a sub vi of your new vi).
Ni spy show the sequence of commands and the timing.If any instrument commands are not
executed then they are highlighted red.
After the run if you open front panel of ReadKeysAnd BuildCuster.vi checking the Cluster (pulse setting) you should see the pre requisted setting.The values should be easiler seen in NI spy.

There should be no error in your error out cluster.

Ifsucessful then increment loop conter and repeat. thus you should be able to identify
were there is a bug.

PS
you did not provide configure ini file.
As I do not have the instrumentation I have not run the main vi in normal mode.

Xseaadog

Message 8 of 42
(3,761 Views)
Hi xseadog,

Thanks for your help!

Per your suggestion, I did copy the true case of the 'load' frame and tried to load the text file (attached)....it looks like it is working ok..

I did not quite figure out how to run NI spy for the VI.
Is this found in the MAX for configuring devices?

Best,

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 42
(3,742 Views)
Hi Jjlee
see attached jpg.
You can launch NI spy via NI MAX,  check under Software in menu tree or
you can launch as shown in attached jpg.

Remember to enable capture !!

I havn'thad time to check your latest vi

Try and get back to ya ASAP

chow for now
xseadog

Message Edited by xseadog on 01-23-2006 01:55 PM

Message 10 of 42
(3,735 Views)