From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If no "supported" driver exists, how does one integrate unsupported test instruments into Labview?

Dear Sir:

I am new to Labview and I am trying to establish connectivity with the test instruments at my lab via NI-488 GPIB. 

Prior to using Labview, I programmed in C or BASIC and established connectivity with the test instruments. 

When I first used Labview, I noticed some test instruments were listed and a driver could be installed, others weren't listed.

With regard to the test instruments that were not listed at your website ("not supported"), what steps must be taken to integrate the test instruments into the Labview programming environment?

Also, can you reply and verify this hypothesis: 

"As a general rule, if you can establish GPIB connectivity with any test instrument using any programming language, then you will able to integrate that test instrument into the labview environment"

If exceptions to this rule exist, then please explain what determines the possibility, or impossibility, of integrating a test instrument into the Labview environment.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(1,983 Views)
Just like you did with c and basic, you can write a LabVIEW program to communicate to any GPIB instrument. You can write you own instrument driver which is nothing more than another LabVIEW program. You can also simply use the VISA Writes and Reads without bothering to create a driver.

You statement is correct. You can probably do it faster with LabVIEW.
Message 2 of 2
(1,979 Views)