From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If bi-directional parallel data transfer possible in DAQ 6009???

Solved!
Go to solution

want to interface AVR to DAQ6009 via parallel 8-bit bus but I need it to be bi-directional thus stuck at this point since m nt sure whether bi-directional data transfer possible or not

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(2,717 Views)
Solution
Accepted by rollno_three

The 6009 does have bidirectional DIO.

However, I don't think that I would waste my time trying to implement a communication protocol using the DIO on the 6009 - it's all software timed instead of hardware timed meaning that your rate is going to be very slow ( < 10 Hz) and very nondeterministic, making communication protocols very difficult if not impossible.

Chris
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Certified TestStand Architect
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(2,706 Views)

any suggestion for implementing it?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(2,690 Views)

Sorry, I'm not really familiar with the interface you'll need, but it's possiible that you may be able to just use a serial port on your computer and the VISA VIs in LabVIEW.

Could you be more specific about the protocol you need to implement?

Chris
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Certified TestStand Architect
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,682 Views)

there is no standard protocol...all I need is sending and receiving of 8-bit data on the same port
serial port(RS232) is not available in windows 7 and newer systems
I hv no knowledge USB interfacing with labview

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,671 Views)

First of all, serial port is available on win7. Silly to say that it's not. Since it is a single bit, mention of it is irrelevant, as is USB.

Second, the lines of the 6009 can be either input or output. A line cannot be both so you would need to stop your task, change the line direction, and start a new task.

Third, you say there is no protocol for the AVR yet you ask for an example. If you don't know the protocol, you need to read the data sheet and understand it. I'm going to assume that you mean this AVR.

For digital I/O examples, see Help>Find Examples. As mentioned, the 6009 is strictly software timed so you will be limited to 'bit-banging' per the device's specs and if it has a minimum clock rate, find other hardware.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,661 Views)

1- I didn't find anything like hyperterminal in windows 7 
2- thats wat i ws asking about 

3- By protocol I mean parallel interfacing & there is no standard protocol  for it. Also, standard protocols in AVR are serial and nt possible as "6009 is strictly software timed"

basically i want to interface GSM modem with Labview and didnt find any serial port in systems available to me and all running windows 7 so I ws thinking of interfacig it thru daq 6009 and fr converting GSM modem serial data to parallel ws using AVR microcontroller
Now issue was I required a bidirectional line nd I got my answer.
THANK YOU!!!

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,655 Views)

Just because there is missing a program in windows 7, it don't mean that Windows 7 don't support Serial communication. Look under your Device Manager, there are still COM and LPT units.

To be able to use serial communication i LabVIEW, you need to use the VISA vi's.

If you need a hyperterminal, search Google. There are multiple non-Microsoft programs.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,637 Views)