From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Icon Editor Crash

Solved!
Go to solution

I am using LabVIEW 2015 64-bit. Everytime I double click an icon to edit it the icon editor flashes for a moment, then seems to crash, and is replaced by the old icon editor from years ago. Everything else seems to be working fine.

I updated my version of LabVIEW yesterday to see if that fixed it, but it still happens.

Does anyone know why the icon editor doesn't work, or how I can get it to work?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(3,852 Views)
Has this ever worked?

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(3,816 Views)

Yes, it used to work. I'm not sure what changed to make it start crashing.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(3,744 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jo-Jo
Have you installed or removed anything? Anything updated? Unexplained system crashes (BSOD)?

Have you tried repairing your LabVIEW installation?

Mike...

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(3,739 Views)

Today I started getting errors related to LabVIEW's temporary back-ups. Also LabVIEW crashed on me once today. Now I think that my installation might just be bad.

I'll try to repair the installation, and let you know how it goes.

Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(3,736 Views)

I tried to repair LabVIEW, and that failed too.

It looks like it is related to the fact that our IT insists on mapping our My Documents folder to a network location where it gets backed up.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(3,687 Views)

Tell them to stop doing that!

Get them to make My Documents on the c:\ drive again.  Have them create some other network drive to be the folder they backup for you and you take control of copying files into that when you want them backed up.

Short of that, maybe there is a way to get the Icon Editor to work with another directory that is local to your PC rather than the remapped My Documents.  The Icon Editor is a LabVIEW program and you can open it up and modify it if you want.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(3,676 Views)

"Tell them to stop doing that!"

Ha! That is actually my current plan. It is harder than one might imagine, but I think they will finally do it. There are a handful of us here using LabVIEW and other NI tools now, and this seems to cause problems for many if not all of us.

In the mean time, does anyone know of a way to make NI not use My Documents? Is it a configuration I can change, or something?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(3,630 Views)
Try changing the "Default Data Directory" setting under Options>>Paths.

Mike...

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(3,621 Views)

I finally have My Documents mapped locally. I repaired my LabVIEW installation, and now everything seems to be working as advertised.

Thanks for the help.

Message 10 of 11
(3,596 Views)