LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IS IT POSSIBLE TO BUILD EXE FOR SERIAL WITH VISA AND SERIAL DRIVER IN PACKAGE?

@matt198717 wrote:

In the additional installers the ni visa is a much older version than the current one.  Is it possible to update that or should i just include the new downloader in the source files?

The version of VISA Run-Time that you are allowed to add to the Additional Installers, is the same version as the NI-VISA installed on the development machine.  If you want the newest version to be installed, then install the newest version, and include that.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 16
(867 Views)

Okay,

I will do that.  I actually built an installer with visa in it and i was still required to download ni serial and then the visa functions worked.  In NI's knowledge base they actually say that youll need both to do serial communication.  Has that been true in your experience?

-Matt
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 16
(842 Views)

My understanding is that you only need NI-serial if you are using National Instruments brand of serial cards.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 16
(840 Views)

Im actually using serial to communicate to two seperate devices of whcih neither is an NI instrument.

-Matt
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 16
(836 Views)
The devices are irrelevant. It is the brand of the USB-RS232 converter that matters.
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 16
(816 Views)

Oh, one of the devices is just a USB A/B and i have the driver for that added as an executable that runs at the end of the install.  I tested that and it functions properly.  The USB to RS232 is manhattan brand. Prior to installing ni serial i couldnt see either com port in the executable. It was as if the visa itself was not functioning.  It actually didnt show any com ports in the pull down menu until i installed ni serial.

-Matt
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 16
(810 Views)