LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

INTELLIGENT BATTERY HEALTH MONITORING SYSTEM FOR UNINTERRUPTED POWER SUPPLY using labview

The  research is focused on optimum utilization of energy sources and renewable energy systems. On the similar lines the research in automobile industry is also focused on fuel saving automobile vehicles and/or electrically operated vehicles. The rechargeable battery plays an important role in deciding many electrical specifications of the system which works on chargeable or non-rechargeable battery. This research paper describes development of intelligent battery health monitoring system for uninterrupted power supply (UPS). The battery  performance parameters for the battery operated systems are recorded continuously with this designed experimental setup. The system utilizes a data acquisition card of National Instrumentation(NI) USB6008 to read battery parameters continuously with the help of signal conditioning section , NI driver and LabVIEW software. The typical hardware part for signal conditioning circuits is designed to sense very high current, voltage and temperature of the rechargeable battery. The software is used effectively for data processing and result display. The designed system monitors battery parameters and provides information regarding rechargeable battery and for understanding how much time battery will give backup for running load. It is also possible to keep continuous track on battery performance parameters and preventive action may be suggested through the developed prototype.

this is my project abstract...could you please help me, what is the signal conditioning circuit that is used to read the parameters of the battery using labview ? please help me 

Message 1 of 7
(2,947 Views)

I do not understand your question.  If this is the abstract for your project, it seems to me that you are responsible for designing, understanding, and documenting those signal conditioning circuits.

UPS devices often have battery packs with many individual batteries or cells and total voltages of several hundreds of volts.  The battery monitoring and management systems of such UPS devices are important parts of the systems and may be tightly integrated with the overall UPS control system.

What parameters will you be monitoring? How many data channels will be recorded? What size and type of battery pack is involved? What kind of charging/battery conditioning circuit is used?

Lynn

Message 2 of 7
(2,875 Views)

as you said that UPS contains many individual batteries with hundreds of volts....insterd of that if we take a 12 volts battery  then how can i monitor the battery parameters like voltage , temperature , current and charging and discharging time such that we can understand how much time the battery can give backup.

is this possible by applying,charge Q=CV ? 

Message 3 of 7
(2,860 Views)

Monitoring a single battery is certainly much easier than trying to monitor each cell in a large pack.

Voltage: You will need a voltage divider because the input common mode range for the USB-6008 is +/-10 V and your battery voltage is a nominal 12.6 V and could exceed 15 V under overcharge conditions.

Current: You will need a transducer to convert current to voltage.  The easiest is a low value resistor in series with the battery. It needs to be able to handle the largest currents the battery will supply. It also will reduce the voltage available to the UPS circuit. A slightly more expensive approach is to use a Hall effect sensor.  This measures the magnetic field created by the current.

Temperature: Again you will need a transducer. Thermocouples, thermistors, RTDs, and semiconductor temperature transducers are available. Some of the semiconductor devices are very easy to use and would be my recommendation for a simplified system as you are trying to put together.

Time: The computer has at least two timing mechanisms you can use.  For a battery system the Time of Day clock is probably the better choice.

Q = CV is not a good enough representation of what goes on in a battery.  It is OK for capacitors. You may need to charge a battery with

140% of the charge you get out.  The value will depend on temperature, the age of the battery, its previous charge history, and the particular battery chemistry. For some types of batteries the voltage has almostno useful information about the state of charge.  Do some research on rechargeable batteries for more information.

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,837 Views)

will all these components are present in labview ? 

could you please make it and attach the vi block diagram...that will helpful for me..please

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,817 Views)

LabVIEW is a programming language. Voltage dividers and transducers are hardware devices which must be connected between your battery and the USB-6008. The timing functions are available in LV.  Look at the data acquisition examples which come with LV and the DAQ driver.

The people who participate in this Forum are mostly volunteers who are here to help people learn about LV. We generally will not write code for you. We do not have the time to do that and you do not learn anything if someone else does it for you.

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,799 Views)

Hi.

This is my research paper and published in the journal of Instrument Society of India in 2011.Vol no 41 and issue no 4 in 2011.The same paper is read in the national conference of NSI 36 at Bareilly(U.P.)

You will get all details in that paper

Thank you

V.P.Labde

Author,

"INTELLIGENT BATTERY HEALTH MONITORING SYSTEM  FOR UNINTERRUPTED  POWER  SUPPLY"

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,750 Views)