From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I would like to modify a VI from an official library: any suggestions on how to do that without destroying the original file?

I would like to modify a VI (Unconstrained Optimization.vi). The reason is that I need non only the final result, but also the intermediate results iteration by iteration. 

The problem is that I don't want to ruin the original files, I would like to have a modified personal. 

I don't know how to do that. The "Save as" is disabled. What is the safest procedure to do that? 

I am using LV 2015 SP1 64 bits.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,832 Views)

Can you open the block diagram, select everything, copy it, and paste it into a new blank VI and save that?  

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,822 Views)

if the block diagram is protected and you cant save it, it may be part of a paid toolkit.  Do you know if it is a toolkit and what the toolkit name is?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,810 Views)

The reason "Save As" is greyed out is that this VI is a Polymorphic VI, a kind of "wrapper" that can become either "Unconstrained Gaussian Peak Fit", "Unconstrained Exponential Fit", etc.

I'm guessing that you one to do one of the polymorphic instances.  Go find the one you want, copy it from vi.lib to a place in your code, modify it as you need, and then simply call it.  If it makes additional calls to other VIs in vi.lib, but you don't need to modify them, that should be fine.  If additional VIs do need to be modify, copy them to your Project, modify, and use.

Note that as you "dig deeper", you may get into a VI or function that you can't inspect, either because it's inside a DLL or because the code is "protected".

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,789 Views)

remoe.png

"If you weren't supposed to push it, it wouldn't be a button."
Message 5 of 5
(2,788 Views)