From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I would like to know if i can share variable across internet through labview?

Hi, I am trying to learn how to share measured data across internet through labview so that it can be viewed and controlled offline. For this i have seen the G server configuration guide. Can i have a shared variable so that the data logged into this variable can be accessed and controlled through the other remote system. Further  can i have some theresholding operation on this shared variable to raise a alarm when the condition is satisfied.

If there is some reference document which can clear these issues then kindly post the same.

Regards

Shashi

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,891 Views)

Have a look at the "network published shared variable" available in newer version of LabVIEW.

Using the LabVIEW Shared Variable

Message 2 of 9
(3,887 Views)

Dear sir,

I have read the link which you have forwarded. I just want to reconfirm my understanding that if we want to share the variable using single process then we don't require any special hardware but in all other cases we need to have dedicated hardware. I would like to know that is sharing variable the most efficient way of passing values of a variable across Internet or there are some other methods.

If you can Kindly comment on this formulations of palletted for this link then it might be helpful. http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/4385

With best regards

Shashi

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,849 Views)

@differential equation wrote:

I have read the link which you have forwarded. I just want to reconfirm my understanding that if we want to share the variable using single process then we don't require any special hardware but in all other cases we need to have dedicated hardware.

You don't need any dedicated hardware. The variable engine can run on your local computer.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,843 Views)

Dear sir,

As per mentioned in the document it has been said that the SVE can reside only in the PXI software in cases where we go for network Published variable. Kindly clear this doubt that won't it be required for me to have PXI hardware with sme configuration if i have to have SVE software in the PXI.

Reference.png

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,829 Views)

You're looking at the benchmarking section. Instead, have a look at figure 10 or Table 1 in the same article.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,826 Views)

Dear sir,

I was able to generate the data and publish it across the internet but i used web publishing instead at present. Followed by it i could share variable data across two VI's on same computer. In this process i would like to know as in what would be the best way to export the data from this shared variable to an excel sheet. Will it be report generation toolkit or the indirect method. I would be happy if u can forward me some link which would teach how to do it.

With best regards

Shashi

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,809 Views)

Well i tried to publish data on local host but i am having difficulty in controlling the operation in the main system where i was running my VI. I am just able to view the data on the internet and cannot do anything with data.

Can you suggest something.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,769 Views)

Hi DE,

How did u solve the issue of sharing Values between computers over the internet?

-John Theodore
Certified LabVIEW Architect, Certified TestStand Architect
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,509 Views)