LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need a TDMS file viewer

LabVIEW TDMS File Viewer does support zooming in and out, and export graph data to images. I have a couple of questions:

1. Do you not want to launch the LabVIEW Development Environment at all? If not, why not? Are you viewing them on a machine that doesn't have it? Would a LabVIEW-built EXE be ok?
2. Do you think the TDMS API is insufficient, or that the existing LabVIEW TDMS File Viewer is insufficient?
3. If you think LabVIEW TDMS File VIewer is insufficient, whether there are other things that are preventing it from being useful for you?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 30
(3,561 Views)

as ben said

"Mwahahaha."

Kinda sounds like Bowser in mario party.

Sometimes a coping saw can do the same job a lumber mill can- it will take more time

sometimes a sledgehammer can do the same job as an ice pick- it may be messy

DIAdem is a tool- just like sledgehammers and coping saws- 

"Watch where you put your fingers"- St Joseph (the carpenter)

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 30
(3,560 Views)

I am not a labview programmer and My guys just used a NIDAQ to record of waveforms in TDMS on the field that needs to be viewed.

I just need a viewer to view the stored waveforms in simple layman's user interface.

I do not want to get into the details of programming labview to view the waveforms.

I just need a viewer that allows a non-labview programmer like me view waveforms, simple zoom in/out , stagger the waveforms.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 30
(3,555 Views)

@KNA wrote:

I am not a labview programmer and My guys just used a NIDAQ to record of waveforms in TDMS on the field that needs to be viewed.

I just need a viewer to view the stored waveforms in simple layman's user interface.

I do not want to get into the details of programming labview to view the waveforms.

I just need a viewer that allows a non-labview programmer like me view waveforms, simple zoom in/out , stagger the waveforms.

I'm sorry.

I did not mean to offend.  TDMS is a relativly new and exciting file format.   But, as such lacks some advanced interperater features.  Especially when trying to zoom/offset with programs predating its introduction.  DIAdem may be your best COTS choice for this but I am not on the cutting edge of file formats.

Again, no harm intended- BUT,

"I need one"  means to me, "I must find one, or CREATE one or, go without and find another ...."  Reevaluate your need- It may be able to be solved without new intelectual property

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 30
(3,549 Views)

Yes. I guess i have to make do with diadem for the time being.

It may be a powerful program but if it is user UNfriendly, it will not go far.

For the NI developers, start your creative engines. 

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 30
(3,537 Views)

Hello KNA,

We have some ideas for improving the existing TDMS File Viewer VI, but it's not clear to me if you have tried it and not liked it, or if you didn't even find it.  If the former, we would like specific feedback on what you didn't like, since the two specific things you've mentioned so far (zoom, export) are supported, as Simon and Yongqing mentioned.  You can find it here:

[LabVIEW Install Directory]\vi.lib\Utility\tdmsutil.llb\TDMS - File Viewer.vi

i.e. C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2011\vi.lib\Utility\tdmsutil.llb\TDMS - File Viewer.vi
or in the palettes:
Programming - File I/O - TDM Streaming - TDMS File Viewer

Now if your need is to view TDMS files on a different machine where LabVIEW isn't installed, that's another issue entirely, but I would like to prioritize the specific problems that customers are having, so the more specific you can be with your feedback, the better we can help you.

Thanks,
Jeff

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 30
(3,509 Views)

@Jeff B wrote:

I would like to prioritize the specific problems that customers are having, so the more specific you can be with your feedback, the better we can help you.

Thanks,
Jeff

• clean-up the BD- save it on monitor 1 and not maximized
  • remove unused code (error tunnel out of event lower Left ???
  • Re- layout the con pane for Loadanformatvalues.vi so it can be viewed as an icon
  • add vi documentation and include it in the help file

(Did you guys lose the style guide??????):smileysurprised:Smiley Embarassed 

Message 17 of 30
(3,504 Views)

@Jeff Bohrer wrote:

@Jeff B wrote:

I would like to prioritize the specific problems that customers are having, so the more specific you can be with your feedback, the better we can help you.

Thanks,
Jeff

• clean-up the BD- save it on monitor 1 and not maximized
  • remove unused code (error tunnel out of event lower Left ???
  • Re- layout the con pane for Loadanformatvalues.vi so it can be viewed as an icon
  • add vi documentation and include it in the help file

(Did you guys lose the style guide??????):smileysurprised:Smiley Embarassed 

The last time I saw feedback about an NI VI it was "fixed" by putting a password on the diagram. Hopefully they will do better this time. Smiley Wink

And when last I looked...

It would go nuts if you resized parts of the GUI too far (can't remember the details).

There was also another issue where it would not refresh properly when rerun using a different data set.... ?

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 30
(3,494 Views)

I just came across this forum, and I thought I would suggest a new product that was just released on the LabVIEW Tools Network, Scout TDMS Editor.   Check it out here:

http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/211879

Thanks,

Rob

Message 19 of 30
(3,098 Views)

That isn't half bad actually.

There are a few minor things I don't like, but it's worlds better than the NI Viewer.  I can finally select multiple signals to graph from channels in different groups.  There is basic filtering, a good set of plot controls with cursors, and multiple Y axis, and settings on how to load the data similar to the NI solution but it can ask how much data you want to load when you open the file.  The UI is good but not reat.  There are several controls that look like they don't match the whole look but still works fine.

It doesn't appear to be free because I have a 30 day trial and it is unclear how much it costs.  I couldn't find the product on their website either.

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 30
(3,088 Views)