cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need a DAQ which support 4-20 mA signals

Solved!
Go to solution

Rocinant,

In order to configure the PCI-M10-16XE-10 to work with your 1120 card and 1338 terminal block you will first need to configure the chassis and add the cards and terminal blocks that you are using.  For more information on how to set up a SCXI chassis check out our Quick Start Guide.  Next you can set up a DAQmx task that will read 4 channels using your SCXI chassis.  Once every channel is set up properly, you can click on the connection diagram and it will give you all the connections that you need to make in order to get this to work properly.

I hope this helps.

Brian P.

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 21 of 26
(2,190 Views)

Hello everyone,

I'm new on this forum but I know NI for a couple of years.

Now I've a NI USB 6008 and I have 2 4-20 mA signals from pressure and temperature sensors.

If I have well understood the previous messages, I should connect a 250 ohm resistor between my AI et Ground. So I'll get a 1-5V signal which can be read by the USB 6008, right ?

I thank you in advance for your answers.

0 Kudos
Message 22 of 26
(2,079 Views)

Hi Nico,

sure, as explained by Ohm's law since nearly 200 years 🙂

I would suggest to use 220 ohms instead. Some sensors might provide overrange signals up to ~21mA and so you can assure proper measurement even with devices only supporting 5V measurement range...

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 23 of 26
(2,077 Views)

OK, thank you for the quick answer.

0 Kudos
Message 24 of 26
(2,071 Views)

So i wire the 4mA signal with the 500ohm resistor, then i conect it to the DAQ?

0 Kudos
Message 25 of 26
(1,961 Views)

Hi elastigirl95,

It sounds like you are trying to do a current measurement as discussed in previous posts in this thread. If you want to measure current with a voltage input, you can put a precision 500 Ohm resistor between AI and GND. Wire the current to the AI input and the voltage drop between AI and GND will be measured. If you have a 4mA signal and a 500 Ohm resistor, the voltage reading will be 2V.

David B.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 26 of 26
(1,926 Views)