From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I looking for a vi to read x and y data (amplitude and Frequency) from a spetrum analyzer throught GPIB

I am using a HP8563E Spectrum analyzer and like to read both coordinates when I run my vi.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,033 Views)
Hi Preitano

I've never used this instrument, but I would recommend you to download the instrument driver for it:
http://zone.ni.com/idnet97.nsf/9b2b33e1993d877786256436006ec498/c7ba21098f2ef6af862568ab005fbcc6?OpenDocument

The driver should offer you directly a VI which reads the data.

Hope this helps.

Luca
Regards,
Luca
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,033 Views)
I have already downloaded the driver for this instrument. It allows me to perform a trace of the required signal but only gives me the amplitude values.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,033 Views)
Hi,

The 8563E does not return this type of trace. It only returns traces of 601 data points. Data point 1 is the star frequency and data point 601 is the stop frequency. Refer to the User manual of the instrument at:

Agilent 8563E User manual

Check Chapter 5 page 305 on the section titled "Position Units and Trace elements".

You can use the instrument driver's Query frequency.vi to determine the star and stop frequency used by the instrument.

hope this helps.

DiegoF
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,033 Views)

Have you found the solution? I am also stuck with this problem now. What the trace is doing only tracing amplitude values in dB. But I need to trace the corresponding frequency value too.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,475 Views)
You have posted to a very old thread. It would be better to start thread but it appears the question has been answered here.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,469 Views)

My query is exactly the same as the old one. And I do not found it is solved. I showed the traced data, and it has only a lot of amplitude value in dB, from which only 601 amplitude datas are being plotted, but there is no way to trace the corresponding frequency value too. I am trying to get a solution for a long time. So please help me with that! I am seeing no way to trace the "corresponding" frequency values. Please let me know if you need me to be more detail about the doubt.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,462 Views)
But the thread explains how to get the start and stop frequency. From those, you can get the df using the number of samples and apply the f0 and df to your graph as the offset and multiplier properties or build the cluster correctly. Go to the block diagram, and with context help turned on, move the mouse over the graph. The help shows t0 and dt but the concept is exactly the same.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,456 Views)