LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have to reconnect to my DAQ device every time I start my computer... Why?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello, I am Ricky, a process engineer intern at a company. I am still a novice at LabVIEW and NI MAX. We have one cDAQ9181 set up to pneumatics and another set up to an encoder. Now, every time I start my computer the pneumatics box is already connected, as expected. However, the encoder one is not. When I click on it in the sidebar, it is found and connects, but the encoder itself does not connect until I perform a self-test. These devices have stayed plugged in and connected overnight, and yield no other issues -- they should be connected as soon as the computer is on. Does anyone know what is going on and/or how to solve this? I can try to provide a picture if necessary.

Thank you for taking the time out of your day to offer some valued help! -Ricky

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(4,597 Views)

Have you tried adding a programmatic self-test to your code?  If you do this, it should self-test the device when the code starts and keep you from taking this extra step.  Otherwise, you generally want to start your computer before you start your cDAQ.  Either of these options should get around the issue you're seeing.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(4,580 Views)

USB?  You might want to check your USB power settings.  By default, Windows likes to enable a power saving feature where it will turn off the USB hub power.  This has caused a lot of problems with people using USB DAQ for long tests.  But you can disable this feature by going into the Windows device manager and going into the USB hub settings.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 3 of 10
(4,569 Views)

If the computer goes to Sleep it'll power off USB ports, causing thie becaviour. I have quite a few similar problems with some test stations since not all customers wants to use a separate energy profile for test equipment ...

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(4,542 Views)

I just tried the Reserve and Self-Test VIs. The problem there is that the device is not recognized as connected until I open "Network Devices" on the sidebar of NI MAX.
It is important to note that I am using ethernet for the boxes, my apologies for omitting that part.

Are there any more ideas?

Thank you all for your thoughts! -Ricky

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(4,486 Views)

Curious...is your computer directly plugged into these devices or are they on the same subnet? Or are they further removed?

Chris H
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(4,437 Views)

All of the devices (computer, DAQ boxes) are connected to a switch, which is connected to the wall for an ethernet network connection. 

It is important to know that the same kind of DAQ box is plugged in right alongside this Encoder one, and only one of the two identical boxes gives us this issue.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(4,388 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author JosephQ

I did some research, and it is very well possible that this is expected behavior.

Prior to being able to run NI-DAQmx tasks on a network cDAQ chassis you must reserve the chassis to the current host system. Through the 'testing' you are doing, I believe this is also reserving the chassis. When a cDAQ chassis and PC lose communication due to the system powering down, the chassis will have to be reserved by the host system again. 'Sleep mode' could also be an issue because most PC systems disconnect or power down ethernet after a certain period of inactivity. To avoid having to go through NI MAX to reserve the chassis, you could use the "DAQmx Reserve Network Device.vi" which will reserve the cDAQ chassis to the system calling the VI.

Chris H
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
Message 8 of 10
(4,347 Views)

I did have the Reserve VI in, but since there is the main device and the subdevice underneath it in the tree, I reserved the 'subdevice' (pardon my amateur terminology) in addition to the main one and it seemed to work despite an error message. I think it may have been solved but I will wait and see if it works again tomorrow. Thank you for all of your help!

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(4,290 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author JosephQ

Update: After a few tests it has been found that I need to reserve and self-test a couple of times before it is successfully recognized -- putting those VIs in a while loop conditioned to "Continue if [the error is] true" should be a quick fix! -Ricky

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(4,242 Views)