LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have no idea what this means!! Complex Error Message

GCSTranslator DLL Functions.vi: DLL reports error. GCS Error: There is no interface or DLL handle with the given ID

I am trying to run a step motor using a PI C-83 Mercury DC Motor Controller with a VI in labview 8.2.1. But the above error message appears once I hit run. Anyone knows what it means? Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(4,971 Views)

Never having worked with such a widget I'll guess...

Is there an Open or Create function that needs to be called first which returns a handle for subsequent calls?

It sounds like you are passing an empty ref.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(4,965 Views)

sorry but i forgot to mention another problem.  I didnt write the VI and the block diagram is locked (and I dont have the password). So I can't really answer your question about the first function. What is also stange is that this VI works on one computer, but not on the one thats needs it to work on.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(4,955 Views)

ResearchAssitant wrote:

.... What is also stange is that this VI works on one computer, but not on the one thats needs it to work on.

This makes me think that there was a DLL included in a driver that was not installed on the computer.

Is there a chance that this is the case?

Cory K
Message 4 of 10
(4,950 Views)

OK that makes more sense now.

That original message was (probably) telling us that the dll is not installed (DoohCount = DoohCount +1).

Try to find an installer that was used to install the software on the first PC and use it to install and register the required dll.

Problably done with this thread since my DoohCount is now at three for this week.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(4,946 Views)

The possibility of that is really high. You see this is my third day here at this job. And I do not know if he installed everything on this computer or just copied and pasted all the data. So I will try to find that out for sure.

I sent an email to a NI engineer so I am really eager for his response

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(4,942 Views)

you might want to give the DLL author a call

http://www.physikinstrumente.com/en/solutions/supportserver.htm

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(4,933 Views)

For those of you with similar problems, after not finding a solution in this thread than call PI, I discovered it was an issue resulting from updating to a new version of labview. After upgrading from 2014 (32-bit version) to 2015 (64-bit version) I encountered the same error. All the VIs supplied by PI no longer worked. and going several layers deep all had the same problem. There was a dll that was linked to an old version. The solution is simple. with the PI software there is a LLB called 'MergeDrivers', The top Vi listed is 'MergePIDrivers.vi'. Run the vi (takes 5 seconds) and the problem is fixed. I don't know if this has to be done for every update but I certainly needed to do it for the 2014 to 2015 upgrade.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(4,165 Views)

Was it a change required for going from 2014 to 2015 or from 32 to 64 bit?  I'd suspect the latter is more likely the issue.

You'll likely find more frustration making that change than you'll find benefit.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(4,145 Views)

Hi,

Where would I find this MergePIDrivers.vi? Just switched from LabVIEW 2010 32-bit to LabVIEW 2022 64-bit and seem to have the same problem as described above. Sadly I have almost no experience with LabVIEW so I am pretty clueless what to do.

Thanks in advance

Anton

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(1,048 Views)