LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a question about data aqusition from PCI bus

Hi.
I am designing a PCI card.I wonder if I want to do some process in LabVIEW,such as power spectrum analyse, oscilloscope, do I have to transfer the data continuously from my card?
Thank you.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,197 Views)
Simple answer - no.

More complex answer - LabVIEW is just like any other programming language when it comes to data collection frequency.  The frequency (intermittent, continuous, timed, etc.) depends upon the analysis you are attempting.  To do power spectra or display waveforms, all you need is one set of data at a time.  The data does not have to be continuous.  There are classes of problems which require continuous data.  If you are trying to address them, you will need to have this mode of operation available.  Most NI input boards offer both modes - continuous and intermittent, with intermittent being the most used, by far.

Note that with proper buffering, both modes end up being about the same.  Whether your buffer resides on the card (preferred, is more robust, data transfer timing is not so critical) or in the computer main RAM, the LabVIEW side of things will always take a single set of data at once.  Admittedly, this data set can be one point at a time, but you really don't want the overhead of that in LabVIEW (or any other higher level function - should be in your driver).
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,184 Views)