LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a 1062Q Chassis that is running 15 deg Celsius warmer than another chassis in the same system

Solved!
Go to solution
I have two rack mounted 1062Q chassis and one is running 10-15 degrees Celsius warmer than the other.  I have all filler panels installed, and have removed the chassis from the rack to open air.  I am still seeing a significant temperature difference even when the chassis is in open air.  No code is running and the system is just powered on.  I am using NI System Monitor to gather intake temperatures.  The normal chassis has all slots filled with modules.  The abnormal chassis has 3 slots open that are covered with filler panels.  I have cleaned the intake filter, verified fan operation, and fan speed is and has always been set to HIGH.  Has anyone seen this issue before?  Is the power supply in the chassis beginning to fail?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(3,321 Views)

This thread was started as a service request and was put in the LabVIEW forum I guess based on my software version, Moderator please move to Hardware PXI forum.

Thanks 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(3,304 Views)

Hi Darrick-

As long as the 1062Q is operating within the specified temperature range (0 - 50 deg Celsius), the chassis is okay.  The fact that the chassis is running hotter than another in the same conditions may indeed indicate that the power supply is going out since the cooling fan is included with the power supply.  If you are interested in replacing the power supply, the part number is 779664-01.

But again, as long as you are within the operating range of the chassis, accuracy/performance specs are guaranteed.

I hope this helps!  Best of luck with your application!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(3,270 Views)

Darrick-

I posted a reply when I was logged in as my customer education alias.  I just wanted to verify what I just said as an applications engineer here at National Instruments - your power supply may very well be going out, but as long as you are within spec, you should be fine.

Best of luck with your application!

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(3,267 Views)
The chassis in question does heat up beyond the recommended operating temperature.  When I started the System Monitor the temperature indicated was 57 degrees Celsius.  During my troubleshooting process I saw temperatures (using NI System Monitor) as high as 85 degrees Celsius.  
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(3,244 Views)

Darrick-

I should clarify what I wrote earlier regarding temperature - 0-55 deg C is the ambient operating temperature for the 1062Q chassis.  This means the environmental operating temperature.  If the 1062Q is running in a room with an ambient temperature of 55 deg C, it will adequately cool itself (as long as the cooling fans are operating correctly).   

There is a safety mechanism built in to the 1062Q chassis to prevent overheating.  Here is an excerpt from the 1062Q User Manual regarding the Power Inhibit Switch LED Indicator:

• If the inhibit switch LED is flashing green, the air-intake temperature

has exceeded the chassis operating range.

• If the inhibit switch LED is steady red, the system fans or power supply

fan has failed. The remaining fans will automatically be driven high.

Note If both system fans or the power supply fan fails the chassis will shut down

automatically, preventing the chassis and modules from damage due to overheating.

Processors can run pretty hot (above the ambient operating temperature, for sure!).  While the power supply fan may be getting old/not working as well as it once did, you should be fine until one of the above conditions is met.

If you wanted to try and troubleshoot the issue, you could try swapping modules/controllers/chassis around and trying to track where the issue is.  This will allow you to see if the issue is only with the chassis or with a controller in the chassis.

Depending on which chipset and which programs you have running in your controller, processors can run at different temperatures.  Until you either see one of the above mentioned LED conditions or errant behavior with measurements, I wouldn't worry too much about the temperature discrepancy.

Gary P.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(3,236 Views)

Thanks for the response Gary,

The Power Inhibit Switch LED Indicator did start flashing green and has done it on multiple occasions.  A few technicians use this system and the first few times it happened they would just power it down, wait 5 minutes and restart, and it would happen during actual testing and research.  I had it happen during some RF testing and began looking into the cause of the blinking LED.  I tried to duplicate the gripe, but I couldn't duplicate the condition so I followed the same shutdown protocol as above.  The last occurrence of the blinking LED occurred just in a powered ON state.  I was editing code for execution and glanced to the chassis to see the LED blinking without any modules actually in use.  So I figured this is not normal and I should look into it.  I then downloaded and installed the NI System Monitor to dig a little deeper into the temperature issue.  We are using a 8351 rack mount controller to control both chassis so the controller can be ruled out.  The rack is enclosed with a 10 inch axial fan installed in the top and a fan tray in between each chassis.  I removed both doors on the rack and the chassis intake temperature reached 85 degrees Celsius in about 2 hours.  I think I've narrowed it down to an actual fault in the chassis because no matter the modules (or lack there of) installed it will still heat up.  It seems the issue doesn't arise until after a period of 20 hours of continuous operation.  This is a problem because we routinely run tests that are 30-60 days in duration.  

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(3,224 Views)

Darrick-

You have two options at this point:

1)  Replace the fan power supply shuttle with PN 779664-01.

2) Call National Instruments Applications Engineering Support to begin the RMA (return merchandise authorization) process.  The chassis will need to be returned with the power supply in it to diagnose a potential problem and repair it. 1 866 275-6964 (ASK-MYNI).

Best of luck with your application!

Gary P.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(3,198 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author DarrickZ
The culprit appears to have been a thin layer of dust buildup in the fan intake area where the sensor is located.  I had removed and cleaned the filters, but decided to remove the power supply module and inspect it.  Before I reinstalled it I swabbed the intake area with alcohol and removed a little buildup.  I then reinstalled the chassis into the rack and left the rack powered down for 5 days in order to get the entire chassis to ambient temperature.  I then powered up the rack and executed an RF TX/RX program for 6 days.  Both chassis have maintained a constant temperature over the 6 days.  Our previous maintenance interval was 90 days, but I've reduced that to 30 days since our work environment is very dusty.  
Message 9 of 11
(3,147 Views)

Hi Gary,

If no controller slot into the chassis and the chassis rear fan is not working or spinning, will the chassis auto power off by itself?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(2,798 Views)