LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I cannot talk to SR510 Lock-in amplifier with the driver I downloaded at NI.com

Hi, I downloaded a SR510 driver from ni.com and tried to talk with my SR510 lock-in amplifier. But it took a long time(30sec) to run SR510.vi and gave no information from the lock-in(even the frequency output is 0 when I actually use 150Hz). I put error in and error out on the GPIB read and write  vi and got an error message from GPIB Read in SR510.vi. The error code was 6 and it said that:

Error 6 occurred at GPIB Read in SR510.vi

Possible reason(s):

LabVIEW:  Generic file I/O error.
---
NI-488:  I/O operation aborted

I used GPIB-USB-A interface and I updated to the newest version(2.2 I believe) for it.

This is a strange problem since we have another computer comunicates properly with the SR510 lock-in amplifier with same driver. The only difference is that computer use GPIB-USB-B instead.

Thank you very much if you can tell me what is going on.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,300 Views)

Have you tested and confirmed that the communications to the device is working using the MAX (Measurement & Automation Explorer) utility?
LabVIEW will not work if you have not gotten it setup and working first in MAX. You should at least be able to do a device ID query successfully.

FWIW, here is another thread about communicating with a SR lockin amp.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,285 Views)

I am facing very similar problem. Can not communicate with SR510.

I am trying with MAX also but SR510 is not responding. I have got two same models of SR510 and none of them is responding.

I am using GPIB-USB-B to connect the lock-in to computer. This is strange as I have already programmed several lockin SR530 and SR830 as well as SR760 for other eperiments. This is the first time that I am facing such a problem. Strangely, on scanning for GPIB instruments in MAX, it finds the lock in and also autometically detects the GPIB address which is 23. I also changed the GPIB address in the lock in and MAX detects the address correctly but on communicating with the instrument (in MAX as well as in LabVIEW) the instrument does not respond and shows the time out error in GPIB read. I have checked the command syntax and it is correct including end-of-string characters. Any guess what can go wrong???

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,719 Views)