LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I cannot log in data and save it from my DAQ device (NI PXI-8187).

I have no idea why you would attach a project file. A project file does not have any code. You already posted the original VI. If you made my suggested changes, then post that.

The pxi chassis should be irrelevant. Not sure about your desktop. Did you actually connect an error and path indicators?

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 19
(549 Views)

Attached herewith is the corrected code

The output filename displayed on the front panel is 'c:\ni-rt\LabVIEW Data\analogtestdata.tdms'. However, this path does not exist. I tried searching for this file 'analogtestdata.tdms' or  'analogtestdata.lvm' through the all computer and it says that the file does not exist.

I was thinking that may be it is saving the file on my pixie system and not my desktop. How can i access this file from there. My PC is currently connected to the pixie system using a crossover cable.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 19
(545 Views)

Does the path "c:\ni-rt\LabVIEW Data" actually exist?  If a folder does not exist, the folder generally will not be created, and an error may (or may not) propagate up that the file could not be saved.  

-Danny

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 19
(541 Views)

The path does not exist. I instructed it to save the data on 'C:\User\Documents\LabVIEW Data\analogtestdata.tdms' but its saving it on 'c:\ni-rt\LabVIEW Data\analogtestdata.tdms' which does not exist. What do you think might be the problem?

I even tried to create the path manually 'c:\ni-rt\LabVIEW Data'  and run it again but the file (analogtestdata) is still not there.

Please Help.

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 19
(536 Views)

On RT we don't have the same \User\Documents\... mechanism that Windows does.  There's a different "mapping" for files onto the RT target, pretty much everything goes to c:\ni-rt\DIRECTORY or c:\ni-rt\system - this has historical meaning for systems that run on a dual-boot Windows/RT system, so that files saved under the RT context are all saved in an RT directory (only valid for Windows, but all current OS's follow this paradigm for the most part).  If a target directory exists, then you'll get your target directory - if it does not exist, it is generally not created (unless using a VI that creates the target directory, which there are few of), and the files will attempt to be placed within the ni-rt structure if their ultimate target directories exist.  If not, you're at the whim of whatever the OS decides to tell the upper layers, which may not be anything at all...

Before writing files to disk, it's always good to ensure the target path exists.

-Danny

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 19
(533 Views)

Thanks for the info. So how do i ensure that all the data from my DAQ device is saved under this path 'C:\User\Documents\LabVIEW Data'??

I already changed it  at 'Configure Write to Measurement File' but that didnt help.

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 19
(530 Views)

First, never save files or paths using upper-case letters.  This might be fine for a PXI system, but if you go to any other platform (especially VxWorks) the upper-case letters might cause major problems.  

Secondly, I don't like to use the path-browsing mechanisms within express VIs - sometimes they like to add "smarts" to the path management and that gets a little weird when translated to RT.  Expose the "Filename" path input and pass in a path constant or a path you've generated, don't let the Express VI handle path management for you.

Thirdly, make sure the path exists.  Before passing a path into a file-saving VI, I like just passing the path+file string into "strip path.vi", then send the stripped path into "Check if File or Folder Exists.vi" and a "Create Folder.vi" if it does not already exist.  This way, when the file is saved the path exists and everything should work as-is.  

-Danny 

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 19
(524 Views)

Thanks. Is there a video or tutorial that explains how to use these VI's in detail?

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 19
(521 Views)

Doubtful.  NI generally only provides help documentation for VIs, not full tutorials and such.  However, I'm sure that there are examples that use these express VIs, but I wouldn't know how to search for examples that contain these express VIs except if the help had links to examples that used them (many times the help does).  However, remember that the help will be specific to Windows, not necessarily RT, and things like what we've discussed here would not usually be included.

-Danny

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 19
(511 Views)