LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can't add a .txt file to the project to get it recognized in the executable

Solved!
Go to solution

I have a .vi that works fine as raw code when it is running which calls and displays a .txt file from a subfolder. I have tried many ways to build the project but every time a build it into an executable, the text indicator will not display the TXT file. I have added it to the project as a file, as a folder, etc. but no luck. Even tried both types of folders as a snapshot and an automatic updated folder.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks........

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 16
(3,343 Views)
You are probably not taking into account that paths change when built into an exe? How are you creating the path to the file? Are you doing an extra strip path. This problem had been discussed numerous times.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 16
(3,337 Views)

Thanks for the response....

I tried searching for a solution before I posted. I don't intentionally try to waste peoples time here. I have already been blasted in prior posts for incorrectly using the forum or asking stupid questions. Is there training or something on how to use the forum correctly? Are there different levels of forums I can get in? I need entry level OBVIOUSLY. Believe me, this attempt to get a little help was not my first choice after my previous experience......I have spent many hours on you tube trying to learn this on my own.

Can you please at least point me to some of the other conversation about this topic? Again, I have tried searching but without knowing some of the nomenclature and structure talk, it is difficult.

I have other VIs that are in the build that are called the same way. They are in subfolders also. They didn't change when I built it. What is a strip path?

Can someone else help since Dennis seems to be needing to help people with a higher experience level?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 16
(3,330 Views)
Strip path is a function. You can use the search tool on the function palette.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 16
(3,321 Views)

Yes. I am using a strip path.

So again, I don't want to waste your time. Please tell me if there is a better place to ask these basic entry level questions and learn how to correctly use this forum. I spent $2000 on this software for a specific application, there are no community colleges close that offer classes, I exhaust youtube rapidly and without interaction, it is difficult. After literally a few hundred hours struggling to learn it on my own, I am close to having it ready for distribution. I am sure for many of you other users out there, it could have been done in about 40 hours. There must be a place where entry level labview users can get help.

Thank you for the link to some help.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 16
(3,299 Views)

"......I have spent many hours on you tube trying to learn this on my own."- there's your problem right there.

"Again, I have tried searching but without knowing some of the nomenclature and structure talk, it is difficult."- that's the reason people follow the core courses to learn the language before jumping into implementation. It will save you a lot of time in the long run.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 16
(3,298 Views)

What "core courses"?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 16
(3,292 Views)
Aren't the core classes included with a license now?

There are also several LabVIEW tutorials on this website.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 16
(3,289 Views)

I sense things are about to get more productive for you! You are entitled to free online training with your purchase.

http://sine.ni.com/tacs/app/overview/p/ap/of/lang/en/ol/en/oc/gb/pg/1/sn/n24:12725/id/1582/

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 16
(3,285 Views)