From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am trying to move a file via ftp

I am trying to move a file from my local share drive on my computer to another server via ftp protocol. I can log into the server and get acknowledgments after entering my user name and password. The problem lies when trying to send my file. I am getting an error which states unexpected command. I am trying to use the "put" command. This works in a dos window but the ni visa is giving this error not the server itself I believe. It occurs with the last write/read statement. I am attaching my vi. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks 
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,091 Views)
VISA supports TCP/IP but it doesn't support FTP afaik. NI sells an Internet Toolkit with FTP functions or you could use System Exec to run the DOS command. That's what I do for tftp transfers.

Message Edited by Dennis Knutson on 07-21-2005 01:43 PM

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,085 Views)
Thanks for your reply. Since I do not have the toolkit is there another way to move this file to the server in my labview program once I logged into the server? I also tried datasocket but since this is not being run on the server it too did not work. Thanks for your help!!        
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,073 Views)
As Dennis mentioned, you can use the System Exec to execute DOS commands...your standard DOS ftp commands will work from there (put, etc.)
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,070 Views)

I have a program that was working fine on a windows 7, 32 bit machine using the system exec. vi to do an tftp file transfer.

The computer bit the dust and has been replaced by a windows 7, 64 bit machine and now the code won't run the system exec command properly.

Do I need to change some windows setting to get this work correctly.

I have tried running as admin and that has no effect.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,475 Views)

Since you "hijacked" a decades-old thread, did you follow the original suggestion to use LabVIEW's FTP functions (such as FTP Put File)?

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,456 Views)