LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am a new user

Hi

I am a new user to Labview and really keen to develop my skills on labview.
I am planning to take a basic training from NI instruments and the following courses which i have
decided to do. Please suggest me whether it is the right way to move forward.

Labview Basic 1
Labview Basic 11

Regards
Deepaa
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 25
(3,976 Views)
hi
i have also started my labview programming by reading these two manuals of NI.
this was during my 10 day labview training in my comapny which also happened to be a NI alliance member.
I think this is the best way to start with labview.
will help a long way in understanding concepts and funda's of labview programming

welcome to the world of labview
all the best!

Bhaskar
Message 2 of 25
(3,960 Views)
Hi,
First of all do you have some exp in programming,then i would suggest you to instead of going to the basic training directly ,try to install the evaluation version and try to read Basic 1 and 2 by your self,this will give you the confidence for taking up the training,else you will feel LV is all about dragging and dropping as the NI applications eng keep talking about.
cheers
vicky
Message 3 of 25
(3,961 Views)
Here and here are a couple of tutorials you can start with. Try searching this site and google for more.

(3,948 Views)
Thanks for your input
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 25
(3,928 Views)
Many thanks vicky
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 25
(3,926 Views)
Thanks Baskar for your input.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 25
(3,925 Views)
Hello Deepaa_g,

In these training courses we will teach allot of core software fundamentals in which are common to other ADE's so if you have used another ADE (i.e. C, VB etc.) this will help you.

From teaching the course myself I find people that generally have the above experience find it ok to do Basics 1 and 2 back to back in one week. However, although the word basics appear in the text you will learn allot. I would advise doing Basics 1 and then returning to do Bascis 2 after you have had a chance to use the software for yourself so as to fully understand the basics 1 concepts.

I would also recommend doing the Optional and challenge excercises becuase the course takes you through a step by step approach which results in the individual doing what the course text tells you. I feel by doing the Challenges and optional excercises this get you to think for yourself and this way you will learn more.

Hope this helps and maybe I will be teaching the subject to you in the near distant future.

Kind Regards

Steven Bird
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
Message 8 of 25
(3,894 Views)
Hi Deepaa,

Thank you for your post.

The LabVIEW Basics I (LVB1) course is designed to give the user an orientation and introduction to the LabVIEW world.
The course assumes the user has never used LabVIEW before, and may not have programmed before (although it is a bonus if you have encountered both). As such you are taught some of the basic concepts of LabVIEW programming- modular programming, repetition and loops, arrays, decision making, string and file I/O. Alongside these your are taught the basics of how to acquire data from DAQ cards, and the use NI-VISA for instrument control.

The LabVIEW Basics II (LVB2) course concentrates more on development and implementing the tools learned about in LVB1, i.e.- planning your LabVIEW application, VI design techniques, object properties, local and global variables, advanced file I/O techniques, project management, and remote data mangement.

On the courses you will be provided with a Course Manual, which holds the course information, and exercises (and a problems and solutions CD). You will be taught by one of NI's Application Engineers, who will explain the concepts, demonstrate, and help you through the hands-on exercises.

Having taken, and taught these courses I would suggest two things:

i) As suggested by Vicky, install LabVIEW (30-day trial or otherwise) and take some time to look at some of the examples, and try to generate some of your own code. This should familiarise you with the LabVIEW language & environment and, as Vicky said, build your confidence before coming on the courses.

ii) LVB1 runs Monday-Wednesday, and LVB2 runs Thursday & Friday. So it is possible to take a 1 week intensive course. However I would advise (from experience) booking both courses, but taking a couple of weeks between them so you may absorb the material, experiment with LabVIEW, and re-read the LVB1 course manual to reiterate some of the concepts.

Please reply if you would like any further information.
Thanks,
National Instruments | Northern California
Message 9 of 25
(3,889 Views)
Those links are very good to start. You can also look into the Getting Started Manual wich comes with the LabVIEW installation and work out some examples.

Regards,
Siddu
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 25
(3,865 Views)