cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I/O card behavior when PC loses power?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi All,

I'm working on an existing Labview application which uses a number of fieldpoint I/O modules.  The I/O modules measure voltages and currents on an AC system and close contactors etc.  I'm worried about what happens when running a Labview program and the PC loses power?  Do the outputs go to a defined state or a random state?

Should a PC using I/O modules always be on a UPS?

Thanks for any clarification,

Sean

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,284 Views)

In reality, any control system that could cause safety issues/damage when subjected to power outages should be powered from a reliable source, such as a UPS system.

I can't say for sure what would happen to your Fieldpoint I/O card outputs, but I suspect they'd drop to zero. Can you not test this using an oscilloscope on the outputs and cutting the power?

Thoric (CLA, CLED, CTD and LabVIEW Champion)

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,270 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author sean m

Are you using a fieldpoint controller or a fieldpoint network module?

You are asking about whether a PC loses power.  But is your concern about when the controller or network module loses power?

If the PC loses power but not the controller/network module, then all the outputs should remain at their last good value.  Basically you've removed any communication providing data updates.

If the controller/network module loses power, then all I/O modules would lose power.  But if the power comes back, then the I/O modules would go to their default startup state until the PC would communicate a new value to them.

You should also look at the watchdog functions.  I know a fieldpoint controller has them, but I haven't worked with a network module.

As Thoric said, if it is critical for safety, then the PC and/or fieldpoint controller/module should be backed up with a UPS.  Factor in some code so that it can detect the loss of power and set all values and outputs in your system to safe settings before the UPS system's battery would die.

Message 3 of 4
(2,266 Views)

OK, thanks for the responses guys.  I'll check the exact configuration of our system tomorrow.  I think that having the PC & I/O modules powered from a UPS is going to have to be a basic requirement.

I'll post again here if I have any more questions.

Thank you,

Sean

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,258 Views)