LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hyper terminal Launching from labview

Hi all,
I have a special application where I need to launch Hyper terminal from a LabVIEW program.
Hyper terminal window shall be then used for serial and telnet communication.
Is it possible from LabVIEW? Can any body suggest?
What are the functions to be used?

Regards
SajK
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 33
(10,233 Views)
Hi

System Exec.vi on the Communication palette and you can run an exe file from LV.

bogdani
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 33
(10,229 Views)
Thanks bogdani,
I will try it today.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 33
(10,220 Views)
Hi,
you can use the VI "System Exec" from the Function\Communication
palette with the following string as "Command Line" input:

C:\Program Files\Windows NT\hypertrm.exe /t COM1

I hope it will help you.
Regards

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 33
(10,208 Views)
Take a look at the LLB attached. You can use that to transfer files
between
computers using a modem.
Hope this helps. Have a great day!

Regards

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 33
(10,199 Views)
Hi,
Sorry for chiming in.  Im having trouble too communicating with my sensor via serial. I want to issue log commands directly to the sensor, receive feedback directly from the sensor and hoping the hyperterminal running in LabVIEW is the solution. Any help i would greatly appreciate.

regards,
bong
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 33
(10,037 Views)
You cannot send commands from LabVIEW to Hyperterminal and you cannot get data from Hyperterminal back to LabVIEW. The company that wrote Hyperterminal simply did not provide an interface to do this. If you can manually use Hyperterminal to communicate with the sensor then you should have no problems using VISA Write and VISA Read. After you have verified communication works with Hyperterminal, then try one of the shipping examples. If you have a problem with that, you might want to post the data sheet on the sensor and the VI you are using with the actual command you are sending saved as the default. If you are having problems with the LabVIEW functions, it could be due to any number of problems. One of the most common is not sending the correct termination character. If you are using a USB->RS232 converter, that could also be a problem as some don't work well with VISA. If you get any kind of error, it would also help if you would post the error code.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 33
(10,019 Views)
Hi Dennis, Thank you for your reply. I would like to explain my application. I have a Magnetic Compass Sensor (EZ-Compass-3) made by AOSI. This sensor outputs Azimuth, Tilt and Roll data. The communication is RS-232. Actually I am only interested with the Azimuth value but in order to get an accurate reading i must perform HARD IRON and SOFT IRON Calibration first.
Using Hyperterminal I can do all the above. I can issue log command as "HARDIRON CAL" and the sensor will talk back like "Rotate the sensor clockwise".I can issue log command like "SOFTIRON CAL" and then sensor will prompt me of instructions. Then finally after completing the above, I will log "NMEA A" and the sensor will feed continuous Azimuth value, i.e. $HCHDM,253.9,M*24.
I would like to create LabVIEW program to do the same. I want to talk to the sensor directly using LabVIEW. I want to explore all the possible commands using LabVIEW. Is that possible?
I made a sample VI using VISA, kindly see the attached. What happens is it will only READ the last log i made to the sensor (NMEA A). I still do not know how can I TALK to the sensor.
I would appreciate for any advise. I would also appreciate if there is an example VI to do this. Thank you very much.

Bong
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 33
(10,003 Views)

I can't look at your VIs because I don't have 8.2. You write to the sensor the same way you write with Hyperterminal except you have to provide the termination character(s) in the program you write. Assuming that Basic Serial Write and Read is still one of the shipping examples in 8.2, look at the command being sent and the \r\n that is at the end of the string being written. A \r is a carriage return and a \n is a line feed character. Many instrument require one or the other, or both. In order to send it correctly, your string control or constant must be set to '\' Code Display by right clicking on the control/constant.

If you have the termination done correctly, maybe someone with 8.2 can look at your code. Or you can post an image of the block diagram.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 33
(9,986 Views)
You need to use VISA Write to talk to the sensor. Right now there is only a loop with a VISA Read in your VI.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 33
(9,973 Views)