From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to validate Syntax in string format

Hello all,

I need small help. Please help me.

I want to validate some syntaxes like below. Is there is any default LabVIEW function for this?

OK Type:

(((1 AND 2) OR 3) OR 4)

(((1 AND 2) OR (3 OR 4)) OR 5)

NG Type:

((1 AND 2) OR (3 OR 4) OR 5)

(( 1 AND 2 OR 3) OR 6)

(1 AND 3 OR 3

I need to check above syntax is correct or not (like brackets are properly opened & closed, AND/OR etc.).

I created sample VI for this but in some cases it is giving wrong result (eg: ((1 AND 2) OR (3 OR 4) OR 5)) .

Munna
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(3,565 Views)

Brackets should be easy enough - the number of times "(" appears" is the same as ")" and the first and last instance of each must be those respectively.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(3,556 Views)

we cant judge syntax only by open & close bracket.

For example. ((1 AND 2) OR (3 OR 4) OR 5)

Here "(" count is same as  ")" but it is NG case.

Correct Synatax: (((1 AND 2) OR (3 OR 4)) OR 5)

Munna
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(3,549 Views)

@Munna232 wrote:

we cant judge syntax only by open & close bracket.

For example. ((1 AND 2) OR (3 OR 4) OR 5))

Here "(" count is same as  ")" but it is NG case.

Correct Synatax: (((1 AND 2) OR (3 OR 4)) OR 5))

Your NG example has 3 "(" and 4 ")". So I'm not sure I understand your point. But you also haven't clarified what rules you are trying to enforce or any other context for your question. Until you do I don't think I can help.

EDIT - I see you have updated your example to fix the last ")". But I still don't understand what you are trying to achieve. If 1 to 5 are boolean inputs then your NG example is perfectly valid boolean arithmetic syntax. You need to provide a better context for what you are trying to achieve.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(3,544 Views)

State your requirements... as a set of requirements!  Not only will it help us, but you may come up with the solution yourself.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(3,515 Views)

Hello Tyk007,

Sorry for the confusion.

1 to 5 are Boolean but we want to do logical operation for only two at once.

For example:

(1 OR 2 OR 3) à this is correct for logical operations. But we want to do two at a time.

It means ((1 OR 2) OR 3) , other way (1 OR (2 OR 3)).

So, if user is giving syntax like (1 OR 2 OR 3), we need to make it NG type. Like this I need to check different combinations to validate the syntax.

Munna
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(3,513 Views)

This might be one of those times where telling us "why" you need to have it done is more valuable than "what" you want done.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(3,500 Views)
Part of you problem is that some of the disallowed cases are logically correct. A two-step approach might work well. Step 1 would be to check for logical correcteness. Step 2 would be to insure that the syntax matches whatever arbitrary rules are imposed.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(3,485 Views)

Here is updated code.

I'm really sorry if my required is not clear.

Please let me know where your getting confuse.

Munna
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(3,481 Views)

I did little modifications.

I think it will cover all combinations.

Please let me know if there is any modifications required.

Munna
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(3,452 Views)