LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to update a standalone application

I would like to release a standalone application and then at a later date release an updated version of the standalone application.  I was wondering how to go about setting this up.  Any direction would be great.  Thanks.

Dion

p.s. I am working with LV2011

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,157 Views)

I wrote a pretty crude method some time ago. My workstation was on the other end of the site to the deployed rig computer, so I included an updater into the software to save myself hassle.

At startup, the program would check its software version and compare it to the version of the installer on my development server. If the dev server version was newer, it would quit itself and run the installer. There is a handy .NET method to return the w.x.y.zzz version of a given file.

Or you could implement some sort of pre loader, which would check versions and either run the main program, or copy and overwrite old files with new ones.

Does that spark any ideas?

(2,141 Views)

If you send an installation package to begin with you can later just send a new exe file and have them replace the old exe file or make a simple script that does the replace automaticly. No need to send a new installation package for each update.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,140 Views)

Thanks for both of the replies, very much appreciates.  That's the starting point I was looking for.  

Dion

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,135 Views)