LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to track child instances in parent class

Thanks for your persistence!!

I would GREATLY prefer it if the TCP handled reordering automatically. This would make my development easier.

I have made notes from this forum, and from the referenced specification and sent them back to NI tech support. I hope they can confirm. It seems to me that NI must have some developers that would know... I think they used TCP to implement shared variables.

I'll let you know what I find out.

My colleague and I were discussing how we got down this trail to begin with. As best we can recall, we ran into a problem during hammer testing (like qual testing for HW). We took the pieces of TCP software that we had developed so far (but not yet rigorously tested), and built a test system to verify that TCP would always reassemble in order. The system always failed the test, indicating that TCP did NOT correctly reorder. We also simultaneously confirmed with NI tech support at that time that TCP did not guarantee reordering.

If TCP does in fact reorder, our best guess is that we had a different bug in our software, which was in the late stages of development/early testing. During the process of building the ODS capability, we must have found and fixed the TCP bug without understanding the full impact. Then, when we completed the ODS, the whole system worked... and we thought it was because we had upgraded TCP to do our own ordering.  Seems a bit of a stretch, but maybe. It has been many years, and several employers ago, or I would attempt to resurrect the code we used to prove it to ourselves.

0 Kudos
Message 21 of 22
(283 Views)

Well, again, the LabVIEW TCP functions are just wrappers around operating system functions. LabVIEW doesn't do any implementation of TCP, which might explain why the NI person isn't too knowledgeable about it - it isn't NI code. If TCP was as badly broken as you seem to believe, every networking application would be unreliable.

For fun, you can download Wireshark to look at the actual ethernet packets that your network adapter receives. You'll see the sequence number in each packet.

0 Kudos
Message 22 of 22
(282 Views)