LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to streaming video in remote panel

I'm trying to creating an application were the customer is looking to remotely connect to an application from anywhere in the world. The application will be controlling some automation. There will need to be a camera used and a video display box in the application so they can move the automation and see what is happening remotely. I can easily create a web server application so anyone can connect to it. The problem I'm having is trying to figure out how to get a video box in my application that a remotely connected computer can see. Any ideas?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 17
(5,403 Views)
Joe John

I am currently working on a similar application. Like you said, the web server is not a problem but the video itself will not display. Ive had no luck yet, but I will keep you posted as I make progress. Also, if you make any breakthroughs feel free to let me know Smiley Wink

Good luck

-Eman
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 17
(5,385 Views)

Hi,

You can definitely use remote panels to view your LabVIEW VI on a remote computer. However, your video may be choppier due to the large amount of data that would need to be sent over your network, and this will depend on the update speed of the video. If you would like to publish your data to the web follow these steps:

1) Save your VI
2) Start the webserver (Tools>>Web Publishing)
3) Preview the page
4) Save to disk (use the default location in the www directory)
5) Use the web link given to access the VI from a remote machine.
6) If you would like to request control of the VI remotely, right click and select request control.

To get the video playing on your front panel: 

1. Place the ActiveX container on the front panel
2. Right click on the ActiveX container and select "insert ActiveX Object"
3. Select "Window Media Player"
This will embed the media player on the ActiveX control. The trick then is to associate the feed from your webcam to this ActiveX control. However, there are several versions of Windows Media Player/Labview that are incompatible.

This thread may also be of assistance

Please let me know if you have any questions or if there is anything I can do to be of assistance.

Regards,

Mike W
Applications Engineer
National Instruments UK&Ireland
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 17
(5,382 Views)
Hi,

LabVIEW webserver isn't recommended for fast image streaming. I would suggest that you used a TCP connection in it's place, however the downside of this is that you will only be able to stream to a single client.  There is more information about selecting your method in this KB.

To implement the TCP connection take a look in the LabVIEW example finder under Networking>>TCP&UDP.
To implement the Datasocket connection look again in the example finder under Networking>>Datasocket.

If you did still want to use the webserver to stream the image you just need to go into the tools pallete on the front panel and select Vision>>Image Display then wire your input up.

I hope this helped,

Tom Clark

Applications Engineer
National Instruments UK & Ireland
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 17
(5,381 Views)

hello, i want to know how to associate the feed of the camera to activex control, tanks for help

.:. Pedro Rivera .:.
i love to work and develop on labview, this is real fun!!!
Photobucket
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 17
(4,598 Views)

Please start a new thread for additional questions as this thread has not been posted on in 5 years. This will get you fastest resolution.

Blake C.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
www.ni.com/support
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 17
(4,581 Views)

I am working on a similar project with a remote front panel that has a live view of a camera
I want to share it online
To have a link of its own
Is this method good for that?
I can't find media player in activex!!!

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 17
(1,712 Views)

ActiveX in a WebVIEW is not exactly a feasible option anymore. Most browsers have already discontinued support for that. If you insist on doing that you would have to rely on the user enabling unsecure features in their browser or even to use an old and unsecure browser versions to view your page. Are you really planning to do that?

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 17
(1,685 Views)

I ues Labsocket
this is the result: the first photo in labview and second in webbroweser ...some components is missing.and its show other with deffernce from labview.

ahmadahmad_0-1657131642443.png

ahmadahmad_1-1657131674755.png

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 17
(1,674 Views)

LabSocket is (was?) an attempt to remote LabVIEW front panels through a webbrowser. Each control element needs to be supported by the LabSocket intermediate layer specificaly and translated to an according HTML5 data stream. I'm not sure what the state of LabSocket software is, but it is probably safe to assume that it is a little bit dated. It seems to support LabVIEW 2014 and later but doesn't seem to have been updated since 2018 in any way. What sort of UI controls it can remote will therefore also depend on the family of UI controls you use. Newer styles may simply not be supported. Hoping that it will allow to remote ActiveX controls is definitely to much asked. That would require a level of deep access into LabVIEW that only an NI developer could manage. Considering that ActiveX is however legacy technology for quite some time, chances that an NI developer would even spend half an hour to think about it, is pretty much non-existent.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 17
(1,660 Views)