LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to start an 8.2 app in LabVIEW 2011

This has been a problem that I've been trying to deal with for the past week to no avail. 

In short:

The 8.2s which worked on an XP machine were openned on a Windows 8 with LabVIEW 2011, made into an executable, put back on to the Windows XP to see if it will still all worked, and it does not. 

In detail:

I had a ready made, working application made in LabVIEW 8.2. The goal is to update all old software to the new LabVIEW 2011, but to still make it work. The problem is, after making it run in edit mode for at least a little bit (after debugging common errors with openning in a newer version), after making an executable and putting it on the machine it used to run on, it won't run. The program will not communicate with the machine and will give the following errors which are, my eyes, things that should not be happening after working in edit mode.

Two error codes received:

1)  One or more Configuration File(s) are not available. Please Check the Hardware configuration!

2) {

Error 7 occured at Openfile+.vi: Open file

Possible reason(s):

LabVIEW: File not found. The file might have been mover or deleted, or the file path might be incorrectly formatted for the operating system.

For example, use\ as path separators on Windows, : on Mac OS X, and / on Linus. Verify tht the path is correct using the command prompt or file       explorer.

=========================================

NI-488: Non-existent board.

}

Please, if anyone has had the same or a similar issue and can give any sort of feedback or thoughts, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you!

-Hub25

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(2,740 Views)

There are a number of issues here.  First, LabVIEW 8.2 cannot be installed on Windows 7 (to say nothing of Windows 8), and LabVIEW 2011 cannot be installed on Windows XP.  I'm not sure whether executables can be built across Windows 7/XP boundaries, but I'm pretty sure that, at a minimum, you'd need to install the LabVIEW 2011 Run Time Engine on the Windows XP system (and I don't know if this is possible).

After next April, Windows XP "turns into a pumpkin" as Microsoft drops support for it.  A good time to migrate to Windows 7!

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(2,715 Views)

Labview 2011 can be installed in XP as I did it

@hub 25 wrote:

The 8.2s which worked on an XP machine were openned on a Windows 8 with LabVIEW 2011, made into an executable, put back on to the Windows XP to see if it will still all worked, and it does not. 

What is the setting of Advvanced tab -> System requirement you mentioned when you are creating installer file?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kudos are always welcome if you got solution to some extent.

I need my difficulties because they are necessary to enjoy my success.
--Ranjeet
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(2,710 Views)

@Bob_Schor wrote:

There are a number of issues here.  First, LabVIEW 8.2 cannot be installed on Windows 7 (to say nothing of Windows 8), and LabVIEW 2011 cannot be installed on Windows XP.  I'm not sure whether executables can be built across Windows 7/XP boundaries, but I'm pretty sure that, at a minimum, you'd need to install the LabVIEW 2011 Run Time Engine on the Windows XP system (and I don't know if this is possible).

After next April, Windows XP "turns into a pumpkin" as Microsoft drops support for it.  A good time to migrate to Windows 7!

You can install LabVIEW 8.2 on a Windows 7 computer.  I have that right now specifically for converting old code.  And I am sure LabVIEW 2011 can go on XP as well.

I'm guessing the main issue is the lack of the 2011 Run-Time Engine on the XP machine.  But I would also advise moving away from the OpenFile+.vi since that is a really old VI and the newer LabVIEW file I/O primitives are so much better anyways.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(2,688 Views)

2011 Run-Time Engine on the XP machine works fine, As you suggested file operation may cause this problem.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kudos are always welcome if you got solution to some extent.

I need my difficulties because they are necessary to enjoy my success.
--Ranjeet
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(2,686 Views)

For future reference, here's a KnowledgeBase article about LabVIEW/Windows compatibility - 

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/B972242574D4BB99862575A7007520CB

It looks like LabVIEW 2011 will work fine on an XP machine. (Not the same story for Windows 8 unfortunately)

Kelsey W.
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(2,672 Views)

Oops, Ranjeet is right (and I should know better, as I have a Windows XP VM with lots of versions of LabVIEW installed so I can "Save for Previous" all the way back to LabVIEW 7.0 ...).

I'm not sure when the Open/Create/Replace File function "went away", but it has been replaced by the Express VI called File Dialog (on the File I/O Palette, Adv File Funcs).  Note you can change Express VIs to "look like" more familiar functions by right-clicking them and choosing "View as Icon", so I agree with Ranjeet on this point, as well.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(2,659 Views)

Thank you guys for your thought. It has given me a couple of ideas about where to also look for the problem. I haven't solved the problem yet, but I smell some smoke; the fire is near!

-Hub25

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(2,645 Views)

@Hub25 wrote:

Thank you guys for your thought. It has given me a couple of ideas about where to also look for the problem. I haven't solved the problem yet, but I smell some smoke; the fire is near!

-Hub25

Careful - when I smell smoke, it usually means I'm thinking too hard.  😉

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(2,634 Views)