From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to slow an indicator's update rate

Hello

I'm having problems getting a Labview application to run reliably. The pc on which hosts the application reboots itself every few days, with the system log reporting that it has recovered from a bugcheck.

So I'm trying to reduce the workload on the cpu and hoping that that this will improve the pc's reliability. One of things I've been advised to try is slowing the update rates of certain indicators on the user interface. However I'm struggling to find a way to do this.

Attached is a very simplified version of my vi inwhich I have tried to make the indicator update once per second by using parallel loop and a local variable. I can't get this to work. Can anyone advise a better way to get the indicator to update slowly please?

Thanks

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,020 Views)

LabVIEW is a data flow language, so the loop to the top right will not get executed until the previous loop, which it is connected to by the error cluster wire, finishes, which it only does on an error, which (not looking at the diagram right now, so I have forgotten) may cause the "second loop" to not execute. The display loop, a timed loop set to 1000Hz, or an update rate of 1 mS, will update the display. Writing to a local variable is like writing to the actual indicator connection. So, even if the second loop is running, the bottom loop overrides it. Try putting the data in the bottom loop on a shift register, then run a case statement off of a timer that "samples" the shift register and is connected to the display terminal, eliminating the second top loop and all writes to the local variable.

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,015 Views)