From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to set labview project a gpib address

Hi,

I have a labview project that needs a gpib address. Basically I am using another equipment that is connected through GPIB to my computer. The equipment can be programmed to send data and commands to another GPIB address. I need to give my Labview project a GPIB address to receive the data and commands. The GPIB address cannot be 0 or any GPIB address that is allocated to the equipment. Is there any way to set a gpib address for the labview project. 

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(4,087 Views)

Hi basetgh,

Is there any way to set a gpib address for the labview project.

Simple answer: use a string control to set the GPIB address… 😄

(You surely need to scan the allowed GPIB address range for devices to be sure you don't accept a GPIB address already in use!)

The equipment can be programmed to send data and commands to another GPIB address.

Why do you need to use LabVIEW here? Can't you save such settings within your device(s)?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(4,068 Views)

Simple answer: use a string control to set the GPIB address…

The equipment is a keysight measurement unit that uses easyexpert software. It only accepts GPIB address to control.

Why do you need to use LabVIEW here? Can't you save such settings within your device(s)?

Easyexpert software does not have enough programming ability to control other equipment (such as light sources). It can send data through gpib saying if the test has been performed or not. I use Labview to control my other equipment. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(4,043 Views)

GerdW wrote:

The equipment can be programmed to send data and commands to another GPIB address.

I think the OP is trying to be a GPIB Slave, which is really weird to me.  So the first thing to do is make sure your GPIB controller can be configured to be a slave.  If so, you should find the address with that setting.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(4,041 Views)

@basetgh wrote:

Simple answer: use a string control to set the GPIB address…

The equipment is a keysight measurement unit that uses easyexpert software. It only accepts GPIB address to control.

Easyexpert software does not have enough programming ability to control other equipment (such as light sources). It can send data through gpib saying if the test has been performed or not. I use Labview to control my other equipment. 

Sounds like you need to dump that Easyexpert program and write some LabVIEW to comunicate directly with your instrument and make it do what you want it to do.

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(4,025 Views)

Is it possible to use extra computer? If I could communicate with two computers through GPIB, it would be possible to set the EasyExpert as one GPIB address and set the other computer with its uniqe GPIB address. 

I checked the link below and could not understand the second part. Is it possible to connect two computers with their unique GPIB addresses?

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/9CC0939663F1C5DE862565D70082E89E?OpenDocument

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(4,021 Views)

Hi basetgh,

"computers" usually are GPIB masters, while you seem to need a GPIB slave.

Do what others (like crossrulz) have suggested before!

When your measurements aren't that complicated to program I also advice to dump that EasyExpert tool and create your own LabVIEW tool to do those measurements…

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(4,019 Views)

Basically I have another computer and I would be happy to use another one as slave to have labview on it, then the first computer can be used to run EasyExpert. 

I have checked some links such as the one below that it is possible to do this configuration. however I do not understand the second part. Could you please explain how can I make one computer as slave and the other one as controller that gives me two different GPIB addresses!

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/9CC0939663F1C5DE862565D70082E89E?OpenDocument

Thanks a lot,

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(4,008 Views)

Hi basetgh,

did you check the LabVIEW example code at the bottom of your linked document?

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(4,003 Views)