From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to send alert from one PC to another using Labview?

I want to send an alert from the server to the client when the server receives certain data. It could be just a LED lighting up. I'm trying to configure both TCP but when introducir the IP address of one computer, it doesn't seem to get the message. What can I do? anybody has better ideas? I've been using this: the superior part for the server and the other part for the client. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,700 Views)
I've always found that VI Server is an easy way to implement this sort of behavior.

Assuming that the "receiver" application is event driven, create an event that does whatever you want to have happen when that alert occurs. Now create a VI that fires that event and include it in the receiver code as a static reference -- this is just to ensure that the VI gets loaded into memory.

Now in the transmitter application include VI Server logic that runs the event firing VI that is on the receiver.

There are several posts on my blog that discuss this sort of behavior in detail. The link is in my signature.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,688 Views)

Is it correct to assume that on the "Server" (which I take to be a PC or PC-like machine) you have a running LabVIEW application, with the same being true of the "Client"?  I see you are running LabVIEW 2010, for which there are a number of options, particularly for two LabVIEW routines already running.  I agree with Mike that VI Server may be the simplest way to go, but other possibilities include using a Network Shared Variable (have the Server send True or False to a Network Shared Variable that the Client can test, or have the Client "read" the variable that the Server sets) and Network Streams (might be overkill ...).

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,672 Views)