From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to save data to file(.xls)

Solved!
Go to solution

I need save data to .xls format- Microsft Excel....Labview allows only save to .xlsx format. Do you know somebody if is possible save file in .xls? Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 16
(7,080 Views)

Please, can u write me exact solution for mine problem? This link is a little different.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 16
(7,058 Views)

Hi Safix

You should eb able to find examples for FILE I/O in the LabVIEW Example Finder: http://www.ni.com/getting-started/labview-basics/examples

Regards

Jonathan Hird CLAD

Applications Engineer

NI UK & Ireland

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 16
(7,055 Views)

Hi JCH26,

thanks, I will check it out. But I asked if someone has experience with this problem.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 16
(7,047 Views)

The answer is yes it's possible to save data in .xls file and there are multiple ways of doing this.  Send your code for a more appropriate answer.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 16
(7,041 Views)

I had the opposite problem -- I was always saving .xls, and I wanted to use .xlsx.  My solution was to simply use .xlsx as the extension whenever required, and it worked like a charm.  Have you tried doing the opposite, using .xls whereever an extension is specified?  [I can think of only two places this occurs in the Report Generation Toolkit, namely New Report and Save Report to File].  In my case, when both were .xls, my Excel format was .xls, also.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 16
(7,002 Views)

It occurs to me that I might have given an inappropriate answer to your question.  When you asked how to write an .xls (Excel) file, and mentioned that you had the option of writing an .xlsx file, but not .xls, I assumed that you were using the LabVIEW Report Generation Toolkit, which was the basis of my previous response.

When asking for help, it is helpful to us (and therefore helpful to you) to provide a little more information, including the Version of LabVIEW that you are using and a "snippet" of the relevant LabVIEW code that is giving your problems.  [Note -- if you use LabVIEW's "Snippet" feature, shown on the Edit Menu, it not only shows code but also provides the LabVIEW version].

In particular, if you happen to be using LabVIEW 2014 (but not LabVIEW 2012 or earlier), you might have been trying to save your data by using Write to Measurement File, for which NI now provides the possibility to write the data in the .xlsx format.  NI added this feature in LabVIEW 2013, as it happens.  By this time, the .xlsx format (simpler, less proprietary) had become more-or-less "standard", so it was chosen as the "feature to add".

If you must write your data in the .xls format, do not use Write to Measurement File.  On the other hand, if you have to use Write to Measurement File, you should be able to read your data even with Excel 2007, as Microsoft has a package that provides the ability to read the .xlsx format for this version of Excel.

I hope that this answers your question.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 16
(6,986 Views)

I am using Labview 2013 SP1. Yes, I am able to open file in Excel2007 but I need  to save  in xls. format. So when I won't  to use Write to Measurement File, what is solution for me? I  weren't using the LabVIEW Report Generation Toolkit(I haven't known that).  My English is not that strong. ... I am a little confused. Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 16
(6,981 Views)

If you want to store your data in .xls format,  you need to use Report generation toolkit(RGT)/ActiveX.

Check this links to get some idea about RGT.

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/3178/en/

http://www.ni.com/tutorial/3182/en/

http://www.ni.com/tutorial/3179/en/

You will get lots of Tutorials in NI forum. Please search it.

Munna
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 16
(6,959 Views)