cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to reset the DAQ Card through software

Solved!
Go to solution

Good afternoon,

We have an application developed in LabView 2012 SP1 and its compiled with DAQmx9.8.0 library pack. This software talks to a NI-DAQ6211 Card and reads data from it. The DAQ card is powered through its USB (and my HW guys tell me that there is no power input to the NiDaq Card).

In our specific application, one of the issues that we have is the power instability. If the input voltage to the DAQ fluctuates, it stops working and seems that it will not revive. The only way to get it workin is by Disconnecting and Reconnecting the USB cable (power cycling). In real world applications this is not a solution. Also, what we exected was that at least the card would reset itself it faces a power issue and resume working but it is not happening at all.

My question is that is there a way that we can send a "Reset" command to the NiDaq that will force it to do a soft reset?

(the HW guys are already working on stabilizing the power to the card)

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(4,061 Views)

Search for the DAQmx Reset Device VI in the pallettes, do not have 2012 to check if it is there.

Reset.png

mcduff

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(4,018 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Hatefk

Dispite mcduff's fine post the answer is no!  Unfortunately, when a USB device hangs up due to power issues it is no longer an "Available Resource" that can be communicated with in any way.

The good news is, A Self-powered High Quality USB HUB on a Surge surpressed UPS (which you should probably have your entire system running on) will prevent this incovinient fault from occuring.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(4,014 Views)
Thanks Jeff, Is this a Windows feature or a LabView feature? The daq is attached to a self powered USB hub, however, the whole system is attached to a generator and from time to time turning on devices can cause issues.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,969 Views)

@Hatefk wrote:
Thanks Jeff, Is this a Windows feature or a LabView feature? 

Neither, it is a Plug-n-Play feature.  So, at least you can reasonably expect the issue to be cross-platform.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,965 Views)

Thanks for the reply.

I just tried this and unfortunately it did not help. Saw the exact same behaviour.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,952 Views)

Hi Hatefk,

As Jeff has said above, interruptions to the USB DAQ might cause its resource reference to be lost, and the only way to get it back is to power cycle the device which creates a new reference. Also as Jeff has said, the solution here is to get a stable power supply to the device. Unfortunately, there is no software solution to this issue.

Mark M.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,924 Views)