From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to record data on excel using labview 7 express

Hello,

I am currently using a writefile VI to record data onto an Excel spreadsheet obtaining data from 2 thermocouples.

I was wondering how I could change the format of the sheet so that the data set:

1) shows the absolute time it was taken for each channel reading.

2) uses rows for each channel (currently has channels going down one column) rather than columns.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,552 Views)

Does this "writefile" VI actually use ActiveX to write to an Excel workbook, or is it just writing a delimited text file? Have you tried looking at the Write Spreadsheet File VI that ships with LabVIEW? That writes a delimited text file directly. In you case you could use a string version of it, and if you look at the block diagram for the VI it has instructions on how to create a copy with a new datatype. You can create your array of strings which includes your timestamp column and then simply write out the transposed array.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(4,538 Views)

Sorry , miscommunication, I am using the Write Spreadsheet File VI and I have handled one of the problems by using the 'transpose' vi.

I'm new to Labview so I was wondering if you could further explain :

'You can create your array of strings which includes your timestamp column and then simply write out the transposed array.'

Cheers,

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(4,531 Views)

Not sure how you're collecting your data, but here's a simple example:

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(4,511 Views)