From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to read excel file in LabVIEW

Please answer the following questions.

1. Is your file an .xls or .xlsx, or is it a .csv file?  If it is a .csv file, the Read/Write Spreadsheet (or similarly-named functions) on the File Palette can read and write them.
  2. Do you have Excel (almost any version) installed on your PC?  If your file is a true Excel file (.xls or .xlsx), LabVIEW has "hooks" into Excel to use Excel to read and write these Workbooks.
  3. What version of LabVIEW are you using?  If 2014 or 2015, the Report Generation Toolkit is included (and is very easy to use).

What you may "know" is that LabVIEW can't read Excel file.  However, as all of us are trying to tell you, what you "know" is at least 99% wrong (on this point, anyway).

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 17
(4,289 Views)

Dear Sir

I have used report generation tool kit as per your advise. I have to do statistical analysis of my data. But when I connect statistic.vi with report.vi it gives error. can you please guide me how to rectify this error.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 17
(4,281 Views)

Dear Mr Aputman

Thank you for your eply.

I have used report generation tool kit as per your advise. I have to do statistical analysis of my data. But when I connect statistic.vi with report.vi it gives error. can you please guide me how to rectify this error.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 17
(4,276 Views)

Did you hover over the broken wire and read what it says in the tip strip?

Did you try turning on the context help and reading what it says for each of those functions?

You are wiring the class wire from the toolkit into the Signals input of the Statistics Express VI.  Why?  They are two different things.

Why are you using the Rename Excel Worksheet function and expect to be getting signals out of it?  Perhaps a function that READS the file would be more appropriate?

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 17
(4,274 Views)

Sorry to tell you, but both by your initial statement about LabVIEW and Excel and the woeful wiring together of two random RGT functions and connecting it to a Statistics Express VI, you clearly know almost nothing about LabVIEW.  You will certainly benefit greatly by taking as many of the Tutorial Sessions you can find listed on the upper right are of the Forum's Home Page.

If you want to use LabVIEW, you really have to "learn the basics", including how to connect wires together (you generally try to connect wires to terminals of the same type) and how to use the Help files associated with (almost) every LabVIEW function.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 17
(4,239 Views)

Thanks and praise go to James Morris, the Active Participant with the clever broom GIF!

It is refreshing to have an actual answer instead of "let me Google that for you".

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 17
(3,563 Views)

The problem I have with the Report Generation Toolkit is that I still get a dialog box (password or Read-only), when I try to open a Password-Protected spreadsheet.  I only want to open it read-only and do not want my users calling tech support (me) to ask why the program is not running because the dialog box is not visible without extra steps that are no apparent to naïve users.

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 17
(1,554 Views)