NI Home > Community > NI Discussion Forums
cstudy

How to read an Microsoft Excel file by LabVIEW ?

Hi All;

I have captured some of the test data in Microsoft Excel. How can I read that data using LabVIEW and then do some analysis on that, such as FFT,...?

Thanks

Serge67
0 Kudos

Re: How to read an Microsoft Excel file by LabVIEW ?

cstudy,

there are several ways to read data from Excel:

1. Use ActiveX to open excel file and use ActiveX methods to read data if you have multiple worksheets in excel file. This is probably the most difficult way because it depends on ActiveX calls

2. Export data from excel to .csv file and then use LV functions to read the text file, parse the data and push it through FFT

3. Excel files are tab-delimited files and if your excel file has only one  worksheet, you may be able to treat excel file as tab-delimited text file, but that needs to be verified.

good luck,

Serge 

Knight of NI
0 Kudos

read Excel LabVIEW

A search is not difficult to do. 

cstudy
0 Kudos

I tried but it still does not work. Attached is a simple LabVIEW file. This file can read LV measurement file (.lvm) and proceed to do FFT but does not read Microsoft Excel File (.xls). How can I modified it to read Excel file?

Thanks

Knight of NI
Dennis_Knutson
0 Kudos

Read some of the results in that search. You cannot read a native Excel file with the Read From Measurement File. You have to use ActiveX. The Report Generation Toolkit has functions for this. There are thousands of posts on Excel and ActiveX. A lot of posts/examples are in the Excel board.