cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to programmatically deploy shared variables to remote PC

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I am dealing with a problem of programmatical deployment of generated SVs to a remote PC (not a real-time target). By now I have tried two approaches:

1." Add shared variable to library.vi" and than "Library.Deploy Library" method where I specified the remote IP (i tried multiple address formats). If I set Target IPAddress to localhost or I type in local IP the variables are successfully deployed.

2. Using DSC: "Create shared variable.vi" and then setting SharedVariableIO Network.URL property to different addresses. However this didn't work either. Generally I like this approach more because it presumably deploys without creating a library first.

Is there a way to do this? I've searched all over the internet and there are no examples how to do it over the network.

Another issue is I can't set Initial value of an array pre-deployed with any of above approaches. But I found this option (below) on NI site, so I guess I have to first deploy and then Open Variable connection, Write variable,...?

Thank you for help

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,215 Views)

Dear Planko,

I would like to better understand what you are trying to do.

You want to access PC2 from PC1 and dynamically create and deploy a shared variable - is that right?

From what I know it is not really a supported functionality. Why do you need it?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,170 Views)

Hi Mateusz,

you got that right. In our company we have a PC that acts as a host for SVE, but that computer is used only as a server, so it would be convenient for us to be able to deploy SVs remotely from any local network user PC with a LabView application (which allows a user to pick a configuration file containing SV definitions). It would have to be done just once, the application will not use those SVs anymore after it deploys them. If it is not possible, we will make an exe file and have it on the server computer and deploy from there through Remote Desktop Connection.

It is pretty much a matter of comfort, so I just wanted to make sure it isn't really doable, before I give up and deliver the above bypass.

Good day!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,160 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author planko

Dear Planko,

what you can also do is to create a kind of service on the server machine, that would be able to create SVs locally, after receiving requests via some other, already deployed shared variable or even TCP message.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,150 Views)