LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to programmatically add UDVs to project?

Hi all,

I have successfully used something like this to programatically add shared variables to an LVLIB (the code assumes that the library associated with the Container Reference contains at least one variable):

Programatic Variable Add.png

An example output would be:

• Container Name: "MyLibrary.lvlib"
  • Variable Name: "Variable1"
  • Variable Path: <blank>
  • Variable Type String: "Variable"

(I notice that there is no way to specify the data type of the variable, and LabVIEW creates a DBL variable in the LVLIB by default.)

However, if Container Reference is associated with a "User-Defined Variables" container, then I get Error 1 at the Invoke Node ("LabVIEW: An input parameter is invalid"). A example output is:

• Container Name: "User-Defined Variables"
  • Variable Name: "Variable1"
  • Variable Path: <blank>
  • Variable Type String: "Variable"

Questions:

1. Does the error occur because LabVIEW is trying to create a DBL variable (which is not allowed with UDVs)?
  2. How can I programmatically add UDVs to my project?

Thanks in advance!

Certified LabVIEW Developer
Message 1 of 5
(2,850 Views)

What is the scope of your project? How will you be using these UDV's?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,809 Views)

Hi!

Did you find any solution?

I have exactly the same problem....

Thanks for your answer...

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,239 Views)

@kabooom wrote:

Did you find any solution?

Unfortunately, I didn't find a way to add UDVs to a LabVIEW project via VI Scripting, and I stopped trying.

Certified LabVIEW Developer
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,236 Views)

thanks for your quick answer... 

Nobody from NI ? or a labview champion here ?

For my test i have something like 256 user variable to create, and i thought it will be easier doing that programatically...  I don't understand why u can't do that in the project , there is a multiple variable editor, but you can't add multiple variable at once, you have to create them one by one... maybe it's linked with the fact you can't do that programatically...

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,231 Views)