LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to print using a Brady Printer IP300

I am using a Brady Printer IP 300 and would like to print the output of two strings to a label.  Is there a vi that I can use to print the labels?  I am using THT-59-423 size labels to print on.  On the label I would like one line to read our part number and the line below it to read the serial number, example:

Part # 1234

Serial # 0001

Any help would be reatly appreciated!

-ncm
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(8,655 Views)

Like most programs, LabVIEW uses the windows printer driver that you would have presumably loaded. Then you can use the Report Generation functions. Alternatively, set VI Properties>Print Options to print on completion. I typically use this with a subVI I pass the text to.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(8,646 Views)

I know why I was having such a hard time with following examples, I didn't have the report generation vi's loaded.  I now have them and the code that I have written is attached.  What I am wondering now is how to set the printer settings so that I can print to the printer, my printer is erroring out because the wrong type of paper is set (it reads error No label size, on my printer)  Any suggestions?

-ncm
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(8,537 Views)

There is a function to Set Report Margins and a Word function called Word Set Paper Size. 

I use the report functions so seldom that I don't remember the exact functions to use for the label printer, sorry. 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(8,531 Views)
So, this isn't going as fast as I would like but how I am doing this now is that I made up my own template in Word, then added that to the temple design on New Report.vi and this is getting the job done. I still have some adjustments to make for my template but I am getting it to print! So if anyone needs to print to a Brady Printer, the above vi works with the added template constant. I will try to add a complete finished vi when I am done.
-ncm
Message 5 of 11
(8,519 Views)

I made a few adjustments.  Word does not let you save the print properties in the advanced settings and this is problematic (I designed a template in order to have the correct settings and paper size I needed).  If you use the attached vi (same name but different vi than I posted earlier) and design an Excel file that will print the label how you would like to see it, this should work nicely.  The biggest thing is that the printer company suggested their Labelmark 5 software for making the labels and LabVIEW doesn't communicate with it.  Hope this helps someone that is trying to accomplish the same thing Smiley Happy

-ncm
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(8,348 Views)

I know this is an old thread, but i found it searching to do the same thing.

The much easier solution is to open a FTP connection to the printer and store a file in the 'execute' folder on the printer.

The file will be read and the label printed.

The programming guide can be found at cab's website:

Programming Manual

J-Scirpt and abc for cab printers

https://www.cab.de/en/support/support-downloads/?suchtyp=art&gruppierung=4&kategorie=32

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(7,894 Views)

Hello Pgstein,

Thank you so much for sharing the Printer VI. Could you please help me with the following questions: 1) To use your VI, I don't need to install the driver of the printer, right?  2) The Logo and font in the internal memory will lose if reboot the printer. 3) Do you have a VI to show how to down load the Logo and font?

Regards!

Steven 

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(7,408 Views)

Hello StevenInToronto,

I don't know the specifics of this VI or what Pgstein created, but from the way the VI looks, it doesn't appear to need any specific driver to be installed to the printer. As far as the memory of the printer is concerned, I would imagine that the printers memory is volatile which is why the code instructs you to load the logo and the font from a known location. As far as replicating this load, you would really need to ask Pgstein and if he did not respond it might be a good idea just to ask this as a general question in a brand new post. You could link this one as a reference but you might have a better response from the community!

John H.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(7,390 Views)

Here is the vi I wrote to upload the logo and font files to the printer.

It basically searches the directories on the printer, and uploads if it doesn't already exist.

I don't believe the file will be erased when the printer is turned off, but I am not sure.

I call this VI before every print.  If the label and font are already there it does nothing.

NOTE: To FTP, The printer must have Security Turned ON with a password of 0000!

If you have any questions let me know,

Paul

Message 10 of 11
(7,358 Views)