LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to prevent the save message when program exit vi is used

Solved!
Go to solution

I am using the Quit LabVIEW vi and am getting the Save/Don't Save/Cancel dialog each time the operator quits the program.  The reason is objects on the screen have been resized.  The vi properties for window appearance are scroll bars off.  This is a base development package so the program runs in the environment.  I would like to allow the operator to exit without seeing this message.  LV 8.5, Win XP

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15
(4,666 Views)
can you post your vi?
Gaurav k
CLD Certified !!!!!
Do not forget to Mark solution and to give Kudo if problem is solved.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 15
(4,661 Views)

sfm,

The best way to do this is by incorporating a source code control depository.  Set your LabVIEW.ini options to configure the source code control and to treat read only vi's as locked.  Edits will only be allowed if the code is checked out of source code control and that prevents the operator moving or resizing the FP objects accidentally.  You should not allow your operators to make code changes!  Operators operate, developers edit code.  It is common to have operators who are also developers BUT, the functions must be kept separated.  

What I mean is that the user is either trying to make the code do what it needs to do (developing - so code changes are desirable.) OR the user is trying to use the code to do its intended function (operating - so code change is not just undesirable, it is BAD!)

The pop-up is not just annoying, it indicates that code control does not exist! You need better logistics to prevent code maintenance headaches of biblical proportions.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 15
(4,659 Views)

I have not tried this my self. But if you saves the VI/VI hierarchy without diagram it can not be edited. And perhaps it then will stop asking.

DO THIS ONLY ON A SAFE COPY. Also take an extra backup before you even think about it. If you remove the diagram it will be lost for ever. And you will never be able to edit or transform to newer versions 

Besides which, my opinion is that Express VIs Carthage must be destroyed deleted
(Sorry no Labview "brag list" so far)
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 15
(4,649 Views)

Thank you all for your quick response.  I am having some trouble inserting/uploading the image of the vi area in questions but simply "Are you sure you want to quit" to a yes no dialog.  If yes, true, then to the EXIT LabVIEW vi.  This Save/Don't Save/Cancel message box then appears.  The vi is set to run automatically, (icon on window's screen), and if quit is selected and then YES even before anything else the message appears. (Program starts, select File on the menu, select Quit, select the YES button.  {custom menu with only 3 items}) There is no movement of FP objects by user/operator/programmer but must be by LabVIEW when starting on the screen.  In edit mode the scroll bars are on there, when running the scroll bars are not there.  I see some screen resizing when the program is stopped or if I start it from LabVIEW due to the scroll bars removal and replacement.  I understand I need to lock or password the code once the design and debug phase is complete. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15
(4,637 Views)
LabVIEW will not modify the code. I would suggest you get rid of the Exit function and when you try to close it manually, get the click on the 'List unsaved changes' to what has actually been changed.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15
(4,633 Views)

Looking at the unsaved changes above the save/don't save/cancel buttons it states that there are objects resized.  I am guessing that since this is running on a 19" wide screen there are some changes.  However it must be stated that the development has been on this same system with the 19" wide screen.  The original development was on a 15.4 notebook but that was many generations, and many saves, back and for the past several weeks all work has been done on the 19" wide screen system.  Nothing on the diagram has changed with respect to code change.  I realize that there is some code involved in the setup of the user interface but the actual diagram is not changed.  Also whether the save or don't save is selected it does not effect the vi the next time it is run.  In other words if save is selected, Labile exited, the vi run again, the same prompt sequence occurs when quitting again.  

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15
(4,622 Views)

sfm_dsi wrote:

The reason is objects on the screen have been resized.

Like Jeff has already mentioned, Operators must not meddle with the VIs. Smiley Happy

So, just tell them not to resize FP objects before running the VI. since they cant do so while running. Smiley Wink

- Partha ( CLD until Oct 2024 🙂 )
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15
(4,612 Views)
I guess I should have made it clearer that this happens to me and I am not modifying any of the FP objects.  The VI is set to run automatically from its icon.  When the proper menu selections are made and confirming quit selected, the save/don't save/cancel dialog appears.  This must be triggered by the Exit LabVIEW vi, up until that time the vi is running so I or an operator does not have the ability to move things.  Once the Exit LabVIEW is called, LabVIEW should exit, again no time to muck about on the FP.  And since I see this save/ds/c message immediately, it is not apparent were a resize could happen.  That would entail a selection and then sizing.  I probably should have left 'operator' out and made  this a development issue. 
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15
(4,587 Views)
Dis you try password protect, or remove digram?

Besides which, my opinion is that Express VIs Carthage must be destroyed deleted
(Sorry no Labview "brag list" so far)
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15
(4,581 Views)