LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to pop out tabs from a tab control?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi, I'm new to labview and my main VI has a tab control with multiple tabs. Each tab has numeric and boolean controls/indicators. I want to add a pop out button that will allow each tab to be popped out into a window (possibly a sub VI for each tab) that runs simultaneously with the main VI. This will allow users to view multiple tabs at once and change the location/size of the windows containing the tabs. I also want the boolean controls (switches) to be able to be updated by the user from both the single tab window and the main VI.

I've googled extensively but couldn't find anything that would allow me to run the single tab at the same time as the main VI. I've also tried passing the values to the sub VI by reference, but the main VI would freeze due to the sub VI continuously running (while loop wired to a constant).

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,642 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author RD46

I would recommend looking into sub-panels and re-entrant VI's.  This could give you the functionality you want.  Search the LabVIEW examples (Help->Find Examples) under Building User Interfaces\General.  There is:

Reentrant Panels

Simple Subpanel

Subpanel Templates

CLA
Message 2 of 8
(3,618 Views)

Hi!

With tabs, you can't. There's no separate VI 'powering'/running each tab, so no way to separately execute them (afaik).

On the other hand, there is an implementation on the forums here which details using pop-out SubPanels. These are containers which contain a running VI, and so it is possible to pop those out (although not automatically - you'll have to code quite a bit) and that would allow you to do what you describe.

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,616 Views)

I posted a zip of code to do what I call "Docking" in this thread.

I discussed using that technique in this paper

The following sequence of images shows the results....

More images in this Album.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,604 Views)

Check out this demo I don't think it uses a tab control but it does allow you to pop out a graph into a separate window.  It's based on the Actor Framework. 

Edit:  For some reason, I am getting a malicious threat alert from AVAST when opening this page on the NI forums. 

aputman
------------------
Heads up! NI has moved LabVIEW to a mandatory SaaS subscription policy, along with a big price increase. Make your voice heard.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,601 Views)

There is also a toolkit to help with this called XTabs from Saphir in the tools network. I have used that for this in past projects.

James Mc
========
CLA and cRIO Fanatic
My writings on LabVIEW Development are at devs.wiresmithtech.com
Message 6 of 8
(3,594 Views)

@aputman wrote:

Check out this demo I don't think it uses a tab control but it does allow you to pop out a graph into a separate window.  It's based on the Actor Framework. 

Edit:  For some reason, I am getting a malicious threat alert from AVAST when opening this page on the NI forums. 

Thanks for this link - I've been working on an AF project and already have 'SubpanelEnabledActor' as a high up part of my class hierarchy, so perhaps with some (what look like) minor modifications I could make some of them pop-out-able too!

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,571 Views)

If you have subpanels in each tab you can Hide tabs through the page references and pop out VI's as separate windows. You should be able to create a r-click menu for this (i've never done that part) or just have a menu option of "pop out active tab"

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,513 Views)