From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to plot plane using 3D surface plot with equation for the plane

I have a set of data, that I have calculated the best-fit plane for. I have the equation of the plane in the form of Ax + By +Cz = D. However, I am having difficulty getting the plot correct. I have attached pictures showing the relevant portion of my block diagram. In the inner most for loop, I have the equation solved for z, as in z = (D - Ax - By) / C.

I have each for loop running from -50 to 50 with a step size of 1. These define my x and y vectors. My z matrix is defined by the plane equation, solved for z in the inner most loop.

This works for some data sets, but not all. For example, it works for when the plane equation is:

0.0229x + 0.7305y + 0.6825z = 48.9015

But not when the equation is:

0.5373x + 0.4914y + 0.6855z = 49.5302

I have tested my calculations in MATLAB, and the plane plots correctly, so I know that the equation itself is correct. But I do not have to create a z matrix based on x and y vectors in order to plot a plane in MATLAB. I can plot straight from the equation and boundary parameters. So what am I doing wrong in my setup for the plot in LabVIEW?

Relevant portion of my block diagram:

Block Diagram.PNG

Plot from first equation example, where it plots correctly.

Correct2 0-45.PNG

Plot from second example, where it plots incorrectly:

Incorrect plot 45-45.PNG

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(4,341 Views)

Hi w5alyh,

This forum post might be helpful. Is it possible to post the block diagram image as a VI snippet? VI snippets are PNG files, but it can be dropped in a block diagram and turn into LabVIEW code.

Ren H.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(4,312 Views)

Here's the VI snippet that you asked for. Also, I have looked at that forum post before. My problem is that I do not understand how to interpolate my data to get the result that I want. Can you explain the math behind that?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(4,298 Views)

Hello,

For 3D surface plot, it needs a 2D array that defines the z value for every point in x and y. Thats why the interpolation is there. The 3D Surface Graph VI in the NI Example Finder is good one. You can find by clicking on "Help" -> "Find Examples" -> selec the "Search" tab -> search "3D Surface Graph".

Try a very simple plane equation like x+y+z = 0. It didn't come up right on my side. Double check your LabVIEW logic as well.

Ren H.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(4,261 Views)
I guess the part that I don't understand is how to interpolate the data. Can you give an example of the math behind that? I based my block diagram off of the example vi that you mentioned, but it only works some of the time. The issue seems to be in the x- or y-plane or both.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(4,255 Views)

Hi,

Give the "Scattered 2D Interpolation.vi" example a try. The context help of each VI explains what they are doing. The LabVIEW Help page of the Interpolate 2D Scatterred VI also provide a link on math related documented. 

In terms of the math behind interpolation, I think the Wikipedia page on interpolation is pretty decent. 

Ren H.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(4,237 Views)