From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to plot 3D surface graph from X,Y,Z points?

Hi guys,

This is my first post on a help forum ever (!), I have been using LabView for about 2 years, and I would really appreciate some help with this topic...

I too would like to get the data in my 3D scatter graph to be represented as a 3D surface.  The reason being is I have another 3D surface graph (not shown in my VI) with multiple plots on, and as far as I am aware you are unable to mix surfaces and scatters on the same set of axis?

I have followed the instructions in this thread, ie: with the example given in post #5, using the downloadable 3D polynomial fit and evaluation VI's.

And this has worked but I have lost all definition in my graph.  As can be seen in the scatter graph there is defined red coloured rod in the centre.  In the surface plot this definition has been lost and it just looks like a red dome.  Also the max Z value is 0.7, and the surface plot incorrectly shows it as 0.5, as it has been over smoothed.

How would you recommend that I plot a more accurate representation of this data as a surface?

Many thanks, Sarah

0 Kudos
Message 21 of 34
(4,738 Views)

it appears that the surface plot doesn't allow for as much precision as the scatter plot. Have you tried changing any settings in the 3D Properties window? 

Corey C

Applications Engineer

National Instruments 

0 Kudos
Message 22 of 34
(4,698 Views)

Thanks for the reply.

I don't think it’s the fault of the surface graph itself....

After applying the poly nominal interpolation filter (suggested as the fix for this problem in post #5) the data is changed dramatically.  

As you can see in my new attached .VI the data is still dome shaped with the wrong maximum z value whether it is plotted as a surface or a scatter.

I would like a way to plot the data as a surface without putting it though the poly.VI (or to know how to successfully edit the .VI to smooth the data less).   Whilst still allowing me to eventually plot it on an axis with multiple surfaces (again not shown in the attached .VI to keep things simple!)

Sarah

0 Kudos
Message 23 of 34
(4,681 Views)

Has anyone had any further ideas on this?

0 Kudos
Message 24 of 34
(4,641 Views)

On what specifically?

0 Kudos
Message 25 of 34
(4,639 Views)

My problem in general, a solution has not been found yet.....

0 Kudos
Message 26 of 34
(4,639 Views)

Smiley FrustratedYes what is the specific nature of your general problem?

You don't expect anybody to go back and read all that do you?

0 Kudos
Message 27 of 34
(4,634 Views)

Posts number 21 and 23 explain my problem.

0 Kudos
Message 28 of 34
(4,630 Views)

Do you still have the subVi file for "3DPolynominalEvaluation"? I would need it to run the XYZ 3d p fit.vi u posted..

0 Kudos
Message 29 of 34
(4,414 Views)

Did you find a solution yet?

I have also some problems regarding creating a 3d-surface plot that actually fits with my data of the three 1d-arrays.

Iam measuring distances over a surface with a very precise sensor.

So i have the X and Y coordinates and for these coordinates i have one distance.

It is not a problem to generate a 3d scatter plot. The data is visualized perfect in this case.

When i triy to generate the 3d surface plot with the posted VI's "Polynomial Fit" and "Polynomial Evaluation" the plot looks really strange and does not really have a reference to my actual data.

Any ideas for my problem?

0 Kudos
Message 30 of 34
(4,214 Views)