From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to open a new window and display the waveform chart

In my application, I don't want display all waveform chart in the main window.

Instead I would like to define a real time menu and, when a new menu selection is done, a new window containing the waveform chart will be opened.

This purpose is to keep the main window neat and the user has a choice whether he wants to display the waveform chart.

Thank you for the advices. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,777 Views)

Hi Chen,

and where's your actual problem?

Make a subVI with a waveform chart, wire the connectors properly and you're done...

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 2 of 7
(3,764 Views)

Also set the subVI WIndow Appearance properties.

Message 3 of 7
(3,756 Views)
Thanks for the suggestion on window appearance settings. That is the reason I cannot manage display it in a new window. I will test it and update you soon.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,750 Views)
Thanks for the suggestions. After some simple testing, I found that as I need to real time menu, i.e. event structure, producer-consumer structure is more appropriate for this purpose.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,743 Views)

Hi, all, I managed to get a sample program as attached.

It can work that a new window will be opened when "display" on the run time menu is clicked. However, your help is greatly appreciated:

1) Is my method efficient and are there better ways to do this?

2) In this case, I cannot close the popup window. Is there a solution that I can close the new window?

Thank you very much for your help! 

Message Edited by chenfangzhi on 05-15-2010 10:34 AM
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,735 Views)

I think you want the data display subVI to run in a separate loop.  If you call it like that in the main loop it will halt the execution of your main loop.  Is that what you want?  You could try Producer/Consumer architecture.

Place a while loop into your subVI and give the user the ability to Stop the subVI.  Make the Window Appearance properties Show Front Panel When Called and Close Afterwards if Originally Closed.

Open the LV Example Finder and search for example "Semaphore with SubVIs".

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,698 Views)