LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to move terminals around on a subVI icon

Solved!
Go to solution

I'm creating a library of subVIs for a working group, and the terminals need to be arranged more rationally than they come out when I simply create the subVI.  Is there a way to move the terminals around?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(4,062 Views)

hold ctrl while clicking on them allows you to swap two terminals

Message 2 of 8
(4,042 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author queue_ball

Click the first of two terminals that you wish to swap. Hold control while clicking the second terminal you wish you swap. You can swap with blank terminals as well.

Message 3 of 8
(4,015 Views)

When I finally found where to do that (left icon, upper right-hand corner of Front Panel window), it worked beautifully.  Thanks much.  Brent

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,996 Views)

Of course you need to watch out if you also leave the subVI in the code where you created it. Swaping connectors on the connector pane will NOT swap the connected wires in the calling VI. You need to be very careful, especially if several terminals are of the same datatype.

Message 5 of 8
(3,971 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

Of course you need to watch out if you also leave the subVI in the code where you created it. Swaping connectors on the connector pane will NOT swap the connected wires in the calling VI. You need to be very careful, especially if several terminals are of the same datatype.

Hope for broken arrows in every VI that uses this subVI, otherwise you may not catch all the mistakes as LabVIEW tries to guess where the old wires are supposed to go.  What I do, if at all possible, is to actually change the pattern to something similar, then make the change.  Then all the VIs that use this subVI have broken arrows because they will all complain about needing to be re-linked.  Re-link them and check them as you go.  If needed, you can always re-choose the original pattern and re-re-link them.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,940 Views)

@billko wrote:
What I do, if at all possible, is to actually change the pattern to something similar, then make the change.  Then all the VIs that use this subVI have broken arrows because they will all complain about needing to be re-linked.  Re-link them and check them as you go.  If needed, you can always re-choose the original pattern and re-re-link them.

Remember that this only applies to callers which are actually loaded when you make this change. If the VI you're changing might be called by other VIs, which are not loaded, you should be aware of that and take appropriate steps (like loading those VIs before modification, or not doing the modification or having unit tests to see that they still work).

(3,907 Views)

@tst wrote:

@billko wrote:
What I do, if at all possible, is to actually change the pattern to something similar, then make the change.  Then all the VIs that use this subVI have broken arrows because they will all complain about needing to be re-linked.  Re-link them and check them as you go.  If needed, you can always re-choose the original pattern and re-re-link them.

Remember that this only applies to callers which are actually loaded when you make this change. If the VI you're changing might be called by other VIs, which are not loaded, you should be aware of that and take appropriate steps (like loading those VIs before modification, or not doing the modification or having unit tests to see that they still work).

True.  I forgot that step because I do that so automatically.  Thanks for fixing my suggestion.  🙂

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,888 Views)