LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to monitor the Tag Engine status over a Ethernet network ?

Hi everyone !!

I want to be able to obtain the status of the Tag Engine over a Ethernet network, i.e, suppose I have two PCs, PC_A and PC_B, what I want to do is to be able to obtain the status of the Tag Engine of PC_B running a subVI on PC_A. I fought about using some VI Server features but neither could I find some I could use to my advantage nor the Get Engine Status.vi has any imput parameters - it seems it can only be used locally.

I know I can run the VI locally on PC_B and then use the VI Server to send the status to PC_A but is there another way to do it ?

Thank you everyone who took sometime to read and think about this message and ...

Happy New Year to you all 🙂
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,699 Views)
There are many ways to solve your problem. You may want to consider how, when, how often and in what format you want to get the information.

*An easy alternative could be to use datasocket. Do something like as follows:
-run the datasocket server on computer B.
-have Tag engine.vi write status messages to datasocket periodically. (overwriting or cumulatively)
-have a datasocket client on computer A: this downloads the status messages for you to read and clears the messages from the server.
This is simple to make and can give you a history of the vi status. It would however be more involved to request the status at any point in time. In that case you would have the following:
-run the datasocket server on computer B,
-send a status request message from computer A to the DS server
-after the message is sent, computer A polls the server for a response
-have Tag engine.vi check for staus requests from the server every 30 seconds or so.
-when it receives the request, it will write the status back to the server
-computer A reads the new string from the server and removes it.
*If you are just looking for anomalie values, treshold violations, periodic results etc, you may consider having computer B just sending you the status by e-mail. This is also very simple using an SMTP vi (not sure whether that requires the internet add-on).
*You can also have the two programs communicate with each other directly using TCP-IP vi's.
*You may also consider remote panels or the Labview web server.

aartjan
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Seriously concerned about the Labview subscription model
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,690 Views)
Hi Giovani,

I am a little confussed. From reading your other Q it appears you already understand how to use VI server.

Have you concidered using VI server to open a refrence to the "Get Engine Status.vi" on the target machine? You could then use that reference to do a call by reference to execute the VI on the target machine and then recieve the results back.

Just my first thought,

Ben
Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 3 of 6
(2,681 Views)
That´s exactly what I´m doing, Ben !

I decided to ask you guys for help because, since there´ll be an application running on the machine the VI would be dynamically loaded, my first thought was this could cause some problems but, after doing some tests, I saw there would be no problems at all. But the test I did was to execute the subVI once and see what would happen to the machine´s CPU Usage and Memory Usage and I realized that both of them would rise up a little and then return to normal levels after the closure of the VI reference but, since in my real application the VI would be periodically dynamically loaded, I´m not sure if this is going to work well. I´ll see how it is going to work on my application and I´ll let everyone know if it worked !!

Thanks everyone for your help !!!
Message 4 of 6
(2,657 Views)
Please do report your findings!

I am always interested in better, faster ways of doing things.

Ben
Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,649 Views)
I suggest to use either UDP or tcp/ip instead of datasocket.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,634 Views)